5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas question

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is all she’ll gas stations have top tier gas? I just moved and I noticed the shell in my neighborhood does not have the top tier sticker. If it is, are all 3 grades of gas top tier?

James1414d

Reaction score
Is all she’ll gas stations have top tier gas? I just moved and I noticed the shell in my neighborhood does not have the top tier sticker. If it is, are all 3 grades of gas top tier?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So I guess that’s a no since it doesn’t have the label?

d2a9519b4ec57f66a3053111a5e6e81a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would guess as a franchise, they would be required to buy the same fuel as the other Shells, but who knows.

I would guess that too. Hopefully someone else has a concrete answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All Shell is supposed to be Top Tier. My guess is someone forgot to put out the sticker or the station has been Shell for longer than the Top Tier designation has been around and no one bothered updating the pump signage. In either case I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I'd rather go to a heavy usage gas station of any brand than a lightly used Top Tier. Of course, if you can do both you're golden.

You can always go inside and ask the manager, if it's not a 17 year old kid, if their gasoline is Top Tier and why the logo isn't displayed.

James1414d

Reaction score
All Shell is supposed to be Top Tier. My guess is someone forgot to put out the sticker or the station has been Shell for longer than the Top Tier designation has been around and no one bothered updating the pump signage. In either case I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I'd rather go to a heavy usage gas station of any brand than a lightly used Top Tier. Of course, if you can do both you're golden.

You can always go inside and ask the manager, if it's not a 17 year old kid, if their gasoline is Top Tier and why the logo isn't displayed.

I was thinking maybe a bored gas pumper pulled the sticker off. Then I remembered, gas pumpers don't exist anywhere except here LOL!

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
Hola ya’ll. Brand doesn’t guarantee quality. I religiously try to burn Shell or Exxon in my Acura (93 octane if I can get it, 91 otherwise). Conoco, 66, etc just don’t burn as well for me. We were towing on a trip in April and hit an Exxon in Socorro, NM and it was hands-down the WORST gas I’ve put in that tank in 2 1/2 yrs. Before that tank, we had to gas in Springerville, AZ and the Shell had no working pumps. We moved further to a mom & pop unknown brand (had no choice at that point) and I was gratified to see a FedEx truck gassing up. That tank was among the best mileage tanks I had on that trip. When the franchisee wants to screw the customer, brand wont protect you.

Just found out my new Limited is FINALLY in the same town as the dealer (spent 3 weeks in IN and 2 weeks in AZ... it was a quick build but the transport logistics have been aggravating to say the least). Picking up Tuesday and doing a 240 mile easy, rural drive home to start breaking it in. Can’t wait!

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hola ya’ll. Brand doesn’t guarantee quality. I religiously try to burn Shell or Exxon in my Acura (93 octane if I can get it, 91 otherwise). Conoco, 66, etc just don’t burn as well for me. We were towing on a trip in April and hit an Exxon in Socorro, NM and it was hands-down the WORST gas I’ve put in that tank in 2 1/2 yrs. Before that tank, we had to gas in Springerville, AZ and the Shell had no working pumps. We moved further to a mom & pop unknown brand (had no choice at that point) and I was gratified to see a FedEx truck gassing up. That tank was among the best mileage tanks I had on that trip. When the franchisee wants to screw the customer, brand wont protect you.

Just found out my new Limited is FINALLY in the same town as the dealer (spent 3 weeks in IN and 2 weeks in AZ... it was a quick build but the transport logistics have been aggravating to say the least). Picking up Tuesday and doing a 240 mile easy, rural drive home to start breaking it in. Can’t wait!
Congrats on the new Limited. Post a few pics when you get her.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Having managing a Coastal station ages ago,We would purchase the brand of fuel which was cheapest at the time. We were independently owned. I'm not sure if there's any independently owned Shell gas stations, but there's plenty of other brands that are independently owned. Another thing was is that 89 mid grade storage tank was the tank that the extra 87 octane went into when the 87 octane tanks were full. That being said, If too much 93 octane was brought in, it also went to the 89 octane tank. So basically, 89 octane fuel was either slightly less or slightly more than actually being 89 octane.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe a bored gas pumper pulled the sticker off. Then I remembered, gas pumpers don't exist anywhere except here LOL!
...and New Jersey (oops, this was already mentioned. Lol)

Users who are viewing this thread