5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garage door height requirement

Usa450r

Reaction score
Gents,

My truck is in the shop getting repairs from a recent Wind storm here in SLC. I’m not able to measure the height of it until next week.

Question - I’m currently looking at a new home with a normal size garage door. Can I fit through a standard 7 ft high garage door? I have 35s and the 2” mopar lift on all four.

Thanks,

USA

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be tight. The truck is a good 6' 2"-4" stock.

Paultg

Reaction score
My carport entrance is 78” (6’-6”) and my 4WD Laramie is stock. Any snow or build up at the entrance would be a problem for me. 80930634-B8E2-4F93-9E61-111C8910C764.jpeg

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
7 feet is "standard" size for a garage door in your area? Wow, didn't know how spoiled we are here. In my area, roughly 20% of new-sh homes (5 years old or less) are 7 feet. 8 foot doors are quickly becoming the norm. (Not an official statistic, just my rough guess based on looking at a lot of houses all over town recently.)

According to various sites, the tallest Ram 1500s from the factory (not counting TRX) are just shy of 78". 2" lift makes it 80". 35" tires (3" larger than stock) add roughly 1.5". That makes you around 81.5" tall, in theory.

In theory, a 7 foot door is 84 inches tall, however, depending on the home builder, sometimes the garage door lip hangs down just below the top of the entrance, subtracting a bit. Plus many house builders will make the door slightly shorter than 7 feet.

My guess is you'll be to tall to fit through the door by a smidge, or it will be to close for comfort. I hope I'm mistaken.

Maybe you'll have to air down the tires really low every time you come home to fit into your garage. :cool:

This is why when we had our house built in 2018, one of our requirements was 8 foot garage doors. Let us know how it turns out, I'm sure this is not the only time this issue will (or has) come up.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
7' High is the standard height around here. I've been looking at houses and the biggest thing I see is the narrow 7' wide garage doors, absolutely rediculous in my opinion. You would have to fold the mirrors and have less then 2" clearance on each side for a full size truck, even cars are getting wider these days. 8' wide should be the minimum for a single size door opening.

STR

Reaction score
My doors are 7’x8’ and my Rebel fits height wise. I have to fold the mirrors in width wise. I had a Gen 4 w/35’s and a 2” leveling kit, and it fit as well...

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
7' High is the standard height around here. I've been looking at houses and the biggest thing I see is the narrow 7' wide garage doors, absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. You would have to fold the mirrors and have less then 2" clearance on each side for a full size truck, even cars are getting wider these days. 8' wide should be the minimum for a single size door opening.
Good job on the measurement (little less than 7' with mirrors folded), 8'2" with mirrors out for those interested.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to lower mine to entry/exit level going in....thank you Jesus for the air susp..

Users who are viewing this thread