5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel filter change - excessive water ?

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
image-2021-08-22-15:55:34-178.jpg
I have been running EDT performance dose since new on my Ecodiesel. I have over 27K miles and last 8K or so, used WDT performance dose and Hotshot Lubricity Extreme LX4 on top of EDT.

I change engine oil at 7.5K miles and fuel filter 15K miles. Infact end up changing both a little earlier than that - so when I changed my first fuel filter - there was alot of water…. hot shot customer service said that it is perfectly fine using performance or slightly more (eyeball/estimate the treatment) dose and water drainage is good as it did NoT end up in yhe motor.

Now at 27K miles - changed my filter again and drained all the “water” that I could - is this excessive ???

BTW I always fill up at BJs wholesale gas station - and their diesel/gas pump has a very rapid turnover.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you 100% certain that is just water? It looks like diesel. You can actually get 80% of the filter housing drained of the diesel if you back the valve out far enough. A turn or two and you will get water…back it out further and you’ll get diesel contained in the fuel filter housing.

And normally you would see a layer of diesel floating on top of the water in your container. I don’t see any separation (corrected thanks to GKIII).

Last edited:

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you 100% certain that is just water? It looks like diesel. You can actually get 80% of the filter house drained of the diesel if you back the valve out far enough. A turn or two and you will get water…back it out further and you’ll get diesel contained in the fuel filter housing.

And normally you would see a layer of water floating on top of the diesel in your container. I don’t see any water floating.
Diesel floats on water, but agreed...I don't see any free water. It does look a little cloudy but I can't tell if that's just due to the bottle.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Diesel floats on water, but agreed...I don't see any free water. It does look a little cloudy but I can't tell if that's just due to the bottle.
Correct…I fat fingered that one. Thanks!

Last edited:

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
Thanks guys - this fluid in the bottle certainly has kerosene/fuel smell. But again cant tell if water and diesel was mixed.

I drain everything out of the filter - and then just replace the filter and re-prime. I felt that draining everything out just made the job alot dry when I open the housing :)

Next time I will drain in slower and not open it all the way.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys - this fluid in the bottle certainly has kerosene/fuel smell. But again cant tell if water and diesel was mixed.

I drain everything out of the filter - and then just replace the filter and re-prime. I felt that draining everything out just made the job alot dry when I open the housing :)

IMHO you did it correctly. It is the same way I change mine as it makes filter replacement almost a non-messy event - FCA actually got this filter set up correct so one doesn't have to take a diesel bath every time.

The only difference is you assumed it was water but trust me you'll be able to see the water/diesel separation. It may not be evident immediately but let everything you drained from the filter housing sit for a few minutes in a clear container and you'll have no doubt if you have water in the separator.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If you cannot tell, then take that bottle (hopefully you still have it sitting on a shelf in your garage), and just add a bit of water to you.

You'll immediately see what it looks like when you have water in your fuel. ;)

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
The additives likely have the water reabsorbed in to the diesel, that is how most work, check Howes diesel treatment videos on YouTube, or any other video for your selected treatment. You will usually get less water while using a treatment than without.

FWIW diesel mechanics at the local city shop swear by Howes diesel treat in all of their city diesel trucks and machinery. They did a 200,000km side by side comparison on two dump trucks, one running howes and the other running nothing. The one running howes had zero fuel system issues, the one not had a fuel pump, several injectors and a few other issues. The extra lubricity from the treatment and the absorption of the water prevents injectors from excreting steam from water and blowing tips off, as well as lubricating the high pressure fuel pump. The low selfie diesel is the culprit causing the problems as the selfie compounds provided extra lubrication.

Users who are viewing this thread