5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Filter Change - Dealer Ripoff - Southern California

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer charges $84 for a fuel filter change. Still expensive but not outrageous.

Rossum

Reaction score
Once you are under the truck it takes literally 3-5 minutes to change it out, unscrew the cap > remove old filter cartridge > repalce o-ring > install new filter cartidge > screw cap back on... its seriously so easy.
If you DIY it, what's the procedure for priming it? I.e. How do you get the air out of the system? I've had another brand's common-rail diesels for the last 11 years and on those, it's essential to use a scan tool to run the lift pump for a while to purge the air because the high pressure pump really does not like being fed air.

Burner1352

Reaction score
When I first got my 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L diesel I went to the dealership and got it's first oil change and some warrenty work done. They tell me it's done and I'm given a bill for 450 CDN. I asked why and was told that's the cost for an oil change on your jeep. I paid the bill and that was the last time I ever had them do my truck again as I called up a good friends dad who owns a parts store and told him what I'm after. Give me my price for the filter and oil and was blown away to see it was only 80 bucks for everything. Now I see the prices have come down some to 250 an oil change but I still won't get it done at the dealership. I might bring the items in and have them do it with the supplied items but I won't get them to do everything. Can I ask where the fuel filter is on these trucks as my jeep was in the valley of the engine and was a bit of a pain to do. Do you have to prime the filter on the new ones as well?

HST

Reaction score
Replace your filter then turn ignition to run with your foot off the brake and you will here the fuel pump start running wait
for it to stop and do it at least 4 or 5 time should be good to go

vegaskeith

Reaction score
As to DEF, I have used Walmart blue container for years, in two Ford F 250's, and my Range Rover TD6, never any issue. ABout $10 for 2.5 gallons.

myles

Reaction score
If you DIY it, what's the procedure for priming it? I.e. How do you get the air out of the system? I've had another brand's common-rail diesels for the last 11 years and on those, it's essential to use a scan tool to run the lift pump for a while to purge the air because the high pressure pump really does not like being fed air.
I just cycle the ignition on and off 4 or 5 times and wait about 10 seconds between each time

myles

Reaction score
When I first got my 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L diesel I went to the dealership and got it's first oil change and some warrenty work done. They tell me it's done and I'm given a bill for 450 CDN. I asked why and was told that's the cost for an oil change on your jeep. I paid the bill and that was the last time I ever had them do my truck again as I called up a good friends dad who owns a parts store and told him what I'm after. Give me my price for the filter and oil and was blown away to see it was only 80 bucks for everything. Now I see the prices have come down some to 250 an oil change but I still won't get it done at the dealership. I might bring the items in and have them do it with the supplied items but I won't get them to do everything. Can I ask where the fuel filter is on these trucks as my jeep was in the valley of the engine and was a bit of a pain to do. Do you have to prime the filter on the new ones as well?
fuel filter is super easy to get to, its on the frame rail, driver side, kinda under the driver seat area, you cant miss it assuming you know what a filter looks like lol. And yes you need to prime it, but priming is easy, no tools required, just turn the key or push to start into the run position 4 or 5 times to prime it.

Burner1352

Reaction score
Haha yes I do, should be a bit smaller then the one on my work truck I'm guessing. I like how they have made it so simple to prime it. Thanks for the info and help.

Pino F

Reaction score
What is the part number for the fuel filter? How often should it be changed.

Thank you

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer charges $84 for a fuel filter change. Still expensive but not outrageous.

At 5 minutes to swap out the filter, that works out to over $1,000 per hour. At that rate, they probably wish they had a line of fuel filter changes waiting at the door every day.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At 5 minutes to swap out the filter, that works out to over $1,000 per hour. At that rate, they probably wish they had a line of fuel filter changes waiting at the door every day.
In comparison to the $250 quoted it's small money and certainly worth it not to have to get your hands dirty.

myles

Reaction score
What is the part number for the fuel filter? How often should it be changed.

Thank you

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
68436631AA is the fuel filter, it’s the same filter as the new Cummins so you pick them up at any auto parts store, I got an oem one from dieselfiltersonline for like $35.
They should be changed every other oil change, so 20k miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/