5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Pass Side Drive Ax!e

W Six

Reaction score
I was under the truck today contemplating a couple of maintenance issues that are coming up, and noticed this:

IMG-2108.jpgIMG-2107.jpg

I'm not real familiar with these axles, but I. Thinking this isn't good. There's a bit of p!at in it when moved up and down, more than I think should be there, maybe a half mode than the drivers side which looks fine.
To me it looms as if water has gotten in, .maybe gotten hot, and flushed out any lube that may be in the splines.

I'm looking for opinions and advice on how to proceed.

TIA

Common failure point.. the splines wear out since there is zero weather protection. The only way to fix it is to replace the axle and CV shaft.. sucks, had to do mine this past summer.

There's a bunch of videos about it on Youtube and a few threads about it on here.

***I believe it's called the stub shaft**

When I had to replace the bearing hub I greased up the splines.
YouTube has videos about the struggle of getting that cv shaft off when it rusts shut.
That intermediate shaft was not even available not too long ago, except from one Canadian company.

Last edited:
Thanks folks.
I have to run to the dealer Friday to order some parts. I may set u
An appointment/check to see if its covered under my extended service plan.
After that, if they say "NO" ill start adding some penetrating oil to it.

Yeah, Jade crawls under the truck whenever I do. She was definitely eyeballing that axle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back