5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front door speakers HK system

Rmazzei

Reaction score
Anyone change their front door speakers with the HK system? I see conflicting reports if 6X9 vs 6.5 round is the way to do. Also what about the upper door speaker? Nobody mentions these. I assume the bottom door is mid range and upper door is tweeter and cross over is at the amp. This would leave me to believe I need a 2-way component. Thoughts from someone who has changed these speakers out.

Rear are confirmed 6X9 with no upper door speaker

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
HK system is 6x9 in the door, 3.5(?) in the upper door and dash corner by the windshield. The upper door is more the "tweeter", 6x9 the woofer and dash the mids. All crossed over in the amp.

Rmazzei

Reaction score
HK system is 6x9 in the door, 3.5(?) in the upper door and dash corner by the windshield. The upper door is more the "tweeter", 6x9 the woofer and dash the mids. All crossed over in the amp.
that is exactly what I need confirmation on. Is the upper door 3.5? Or is it a 1" tweeter? and if so what ohm? nobody knows for certain.

Daverous

Reaction score
The upper door speakers are the same as the dash, so yeah. The only issue is the door card is basically molded to perfectly fit the factory speakers. Replacement will require some cutting. Nothing crazy.

I mocked up the upper door speakers while swapping things out to sound test. The gains were VERY minimal over stock. Assuming it's due to placement and factory Amp settings. Biggest bang is the dash and 6x9s. So much so that even with everything apart, extra speakers in hand, I didn't modify the card to fit them. Absolutely did swap out the 6x9s, however.

Rmazzei

Reaction score
The upper door speakers are the same as the dash, so yeah. The only issue is the door card is basically molded to perfectly fit the factory speakers. Replacement will require some cutting. Nothing crazy.

I mocked up the upper door speakers while swapping things out to sound test. The gains were VERY minimal over stock. Assuming it's due to placement and factory Amp settings. Biggest bang is the dash and 6x9s. So much so that even with everything apart, extra speakers in hand, I didn't modify the card to fit them. Absolutely did swap out the 6x9s, however.
upper doors same as dash, do you mean ohms or are they 3.5" speakers? Seem small space for 3.5"

Gr8dane

Reaction score
Takes a real audiophile to tell the difference but if you can a 6.5 will sound night and day better than a 6x9. Worked in the car audio industry for 10 years building some serious systems from just all out bass to some badass concert sounding systems. Waiting for my 22 to come in some day and i ordered the hk system but I have a feeling im gonna gut it out and redo it to my own specs.

Daverous

Reaction score
Lots of good info here and in the secondary links within. Many of us have gone down this road.
FYI stock ohms are 4.1. The door speakers and dash speakers aren't a true 3.5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online