5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Axle Disconnect questions.

cda7392

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 bighorn edition is having issues switching into 4WD. Took it to a dealership today to get looked at and they reported that I would need a new front axle disconnect. They told me the part was on back order indefinitely but best case scenario could arrive next week. The dealership then told me it would be about $870-900 for the part and labor if I wanted to use them.
The price was completely out of my range for the time being especially considering the part was not in.

Was the dealership making a reasonble price for this or was this an instance of extreme dealer markup? What is a reasonable price for the front axle disconnect?
How difficult would it be to replace that on my own?
Are there any videos someone could share showing how to replace front axle disconnect?

Last edited:

397STROKER

Reaction score
Looks like the part from Rock Auto is $118 and change. There are videos of doing this and it looks to be rather simple. You will also need some axle fluid to top off as some will leak out when you take this part off. I am sure Mopar want more for the part.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything is relative...

Were they be reasonable compared to the dealership norm?
Probably?

Does it make sense to pay 4x-5x the cost of a reasonable DIY?
Depends.

Is the dealership a rip-off?
Always.

Users who are viewing this thread