5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford Trucks at Kentucky Speedway

BNeal

Reaction score
So, what is Ford and other manufacturers doing the same thing, going to do with all those stored 2021 vehicles once the 22's start hitting the street? I assume the'll have to sell them as 21's and just mark them down.

1626805532163.png

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw an article yesterday where Ford was thinking about sending them to dealers incomplete and train the techs at the dealers how to install and configure them. I don't see any problems with that. LOL
Instead of slowing down production, they decided to build incomplete trucks and now they're running out of room to store them all. 2021's are going to be the worst and cheapest Ford trucks to buy.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw an article yesterday where Ford was thinking about sending them to dealers incomplete and train the techs at the dealers how to install and configure them. I don't see any problems with that. LOL
Instead of slowing down production, they decided to build incomplete trucks and now they're running out of room to store them all. 2021's are going to be the worst and cheapest Ford trucks to buy.
Combine this with the fact that Ford isn't exactly batting 1.000 with vehicle launches nowadays....yea these 21's are looking to be a disaster with the dealer completion plan.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know what part these trucks are missing? I would assume it's something fairly easy to install (like a rearview mirror with sensors or something). I wouldn't imagine they're missing parts that would require the truck to be half-disassembled.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can see dealers selling these trucks with the missing whatever at a discount, depending on what is missing.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read that article as well. They said it will allow customers to view the inventory on the lot and take delivery sooner once the chips are available. I understand their thinking, but I personally would not purchase a vehicle that I cannot drive at the time of purchase or without any sort of estimate on when I could take delivery on it.

I also read that some manufacturers (I can't remember if it included Ford in that discussion or not) are looking to eliminate some luxury options and vehicle features entirely from some of their models to reduce their need for the semiconductor chips just so they can get vehicles completed and on the road sooner.

Last edited:

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine's son works at the Mercedes Plant we have here near Birmingham, AL. They are doing the same thing. When you think about it, it makes sense. They have huge materials contracts with who knows how many different manufacturers. It probably costs them WAY more to break those contracts because they can't complete vehicles. It probably also costs them more money and space to store individual parts than it does to store assembled vehicles.

Logistically, they probably don't have a choice.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most of these trucks are just missing minor things like electronic modules that can easily be installed by the dealership, almost all manufacturers are in this situation at the moment.

They are likely not going to be selling them at a discount, since the market is crazy at the moment. My local Ford dealer had 3 trucks on the lot, when they would normally have 100. A salesmen buddy of mine there I went to lunch with said they got a waiting list of people are going to pay sticker as the trucks roll in.

BNeal

Reaction score
As I understand it, there are no physical parts missing - just the chips that enable them. Once the chips come in, the dealer installs the chip and configures the crippled component. But there are a lot of "as I understand its" out there, so take with a grain of salt.

But my point was, if this goes too far into the '22 MY release, they will certainly have to price accordingly. I mean, they are essentially selling a year-old truck at that point.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, there are no physical parts missing - just the chips that enable them. Once the chips come in, the dealer installs the chip and configures the crippled component. But there are a lot of "as I understand its" out there, so take with a grain of salt.

But my point was, if this goes too far into the '22 MY release, they will certainly have to price accordingly. I mean, they are essentially selling a year-old truck at that point.
Nah, it can’t be that simple. Yes, chips are the supposed problem. But those are holding up assemblies (like rear view mirrors with sensors). They’re not installing mirrors with missing circuit boards - those mirror assemblies are sitting in Mexico (or wherever) waiting for chips.
The local dealers will likely be installing the entire mirror assemblies when they arrive.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I can see dealers selling these trucks with the missing whatever at a discount, depending on what is missing.

This is essentially what GM is doing. They've removed some options like cylinder deactivation, start/stop, and wireless charging. And they're giving a hilarious discount of $50 per option.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well they will have to discount all these 2021 models. Who in there right mind would pay msrp on a on a vehicle thats going to be a year old model thats been sitting outside with mice chewing on wiring. Yes its been a issue they reported. Now with a heavy discount and a warranty to back the sale, it might be worthwhile. I guess it a good thing for the economy they keep producing and keeping paying their employees. If they trickle out these 21s they might get more for them. I think when people are spending this amount of monet they want the current model or a discount

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well they will have to discount all these 2021 models. Who in there right mind would pay msrp on a on a vehicle thats going to be a year old model thats been sitting outside with mice chewing on wiring. Yes its been a issue they reported. Now with a heavy discount and a warranty to back the sale, it might be worthwhile. I guess it a good thing for the economy they keep producing and keeping paying their employees. If they trickle out these 21s they might get more for them. I think when people are spending this amount of monet they want the current model or a discount

Depends on what you think is a heavy discount. Most full size trucks have a huge margin built into the MSRP. You can buy at discount usually $10,000 - $15,000 range for most domestic full size trucks. Right now, they are able to sell 2021' models for at or close to MSRP due to this crazy market. The one's mainly benefiting from this is the dealership.

Typically 2022 models don't start showing up until Sep-Oct, and they are starting to get more chips now. But in this market where people are desperate for stock, they can still get away with near MSRP sales for likely another month or two, assuming the 2022 models come out on time. If they delay 2022 models, something that Ford & GM have toyed with, then all bets are off.

I think by the end of the year, even with 2021s still going through backlog, they can still avoid going back to standard levels of discounts due to strong demand. Even at the worst case scenario, they won't go beyond the standard levels of discounts in a normal market.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
If they delay 2022 models, something that Ford & GM have toyed with, then all bets are off.
I know at least for GM, they'll be selling be rolling 2021s into a 2021 Limited run similar to how they did in 2019 until the refreshed 2022 is ready. They haven't released a date or even an estimate for it yet.

silver billet

Reaction score
This is essentially what GM is doing. They've removed some options like cylinder deactivation, start/stop, and wireless charging. And they're giving a hilarious discount of $50 per option.

They're doing the right thing. Nobody wants that stuff anyway (well maybe wireless charging is useful). I'd pay Ram $500 or more to have cylinder deactivation removed from my truck, a $50 discount is bonus.

If you're a GM fan, this is the time to buy one of their trucks!

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
They're doing the right thing. Nobody wants that stuff anyway (well maybe wireless charging is useful). I'd pay Ram $500 or more to have cylinder deactivation removed from my truck, a $50 discount is bonus.

If you're a GM fan, this is the time to buy one of their trucks!
True. I'm a life-long GM owner and I wanted to see what the 2022 refresh does for the interior before I make a decision on a new truck. But, it's been pushed out who knows how far.

Users who are viewing this thread