5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford keeps pushing the envelope...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

You towers should look this article up. I was poking around on the IRV2 forum on tow vehicles and found a post that said the F150 can now estimate your payload and tongue weights. Curious I looked at the article, thinking "that's so cool":

(Article portion copied just to tease folk):

"So, you've got a pickup truck and you're going to load some heavy things into the bed. You know, things like lumber, tools and that overpriced barbell set you bought off Craigslist at the start of the pandemic and never really used. But how much weight can you safely put back there without exceeding your truck's maximum payload rating?

Normally, you'd have to estimate the weight of the load or, failing that, tell yourself, "Ehh, I'm sure it's fine" as you watch your truck's rear suspension sag toward the ground.

But you won't have to guess at all if you buy a 2021 Ford F-150.

The 2021 F-150, of course, is the fully redesigned one, sporting new features such as a hybrid powertrain and a robust onboard generator. But Ford says that 2021 F-150s hitting dealer lots starting in late summer 2021 will come with two additional optional features to help you haul and tow: Onboard Scales and Smart Hitch."

End of teaser portion. I think (other than more stuff to break) it is a neat concept.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This probably just me, but wouldn't you want to know how much you're loading on the truck before you actually load it? Seems like you could potentially save some labor by not unloading.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051223 miles.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This probably just me, but wouldn't you want to know how much you're loading on the truck before you actually load it? Seems like you could potentially save some labor by not unloading.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051223 miles.
Good point but let say you are going to the building supply store and getting concrete block, bags of sand, some lumber etc (just what my son did last week in his 19' Ltd 1500).
He had no idea what was loaded into the 6'4" bed, only that the air suspension leveled it right up. Was he overweight? Were his (in NC) passenger car type plates (6,000 gvw limit) still ok? Could a state trooper have cited him for being loaded over his registered weight class? (Yes). Here's a forum post from an older F150 thread on the topic:
"In NC, if you are going to be rolling down the road in a vehicle with a gross weight (cargo + passengers + trailer) of more that 6000 lbs. you need a weighted plate. The 7200 lbs that you quote sounds like the maximum gross weight for the vehicle with passengers and cargo, which isn't all that useful for determining if you need a plate or how much weight you should pay for.

The decision to get the weighted plate just depends on your use. If you are just driving around with a passenger or minimal cargo, you are fine without it. Once you start adding heavier cargo or pulling a trailer, you are going to need a weighted plate."

This option could have it's uses.

Users who are viewing this thread