5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluids Warm-Up

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Ok, so engine fluids, like oil and coolant. Lately, it's been getting chilly my way, so now there's a bit of consideration to let the truck warm up a bit. I'm about 2-4 min from the highway, depending on how I'm driving. By time I get to the highway, my coolant temps, according to instrument cluster are 100+, but my oil temps are still below 100. Doesn't the oil have more or closer contact with the hot bits of the engine? I would think my oil would get warmer sooner than the coolant.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think water heats up much quicker than oil, especially since the water is used primarily as the cooling source.

That's normal however, typically oil takes 2-3 times longer to get up to temp than coolant, even during the summer. My coolant will get up to 200F within 2 miles, my oil takes about 5-7 miles to do the same.

However, once up to temp, oil will typically stay within 10F higher than coolant in the normal drive cycle without a load. With a heavy load under heavy throttle, water can get up to 245F while oil can shoot up to 290F, this is under extreme of normal operation.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The water heats up quickly because the thermostat closes and keeps the water on the block and away from the radiator until it gets up to temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/