5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flood damage diagnosis has me frustrated

Afranky80

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum so thank you in advance for any feedback, expertise and the like. Shirt version, 2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman 5.7L Hemi 8 spd ZF Trans is the Girl. I’ve never admitted this openly but I was in KS during a road trip and saw a big a** puddle in a parking lot that I couldn’t resist. So I mob toward it hit it hard all good so far, about mid way the bottom drops out and I have no traction. Bail out the driver window girlfriend takes the throttle and wheel and within about 45sec we’re out. Now the water breached the cab (roughly 6” deep on the floor) and at one point when I was pushing from the rear I noted the water was up to the exhaust pipes in the back, keeping the gas pedal mashed was the only way to avoid sucking water into them. Fast Forward 8 weeks. THE ISSUE : when driving the rpm’s jump about 5-700 just a quick spike then back to range, the shifting is hard and clunky almost feels like a misfire. There are no codes until recently but I think that’s because I changed out all 4 of the o2 sensors. So just to recap what I’ve done so far to diagnose with no luck yet:
• changed out spark plugs (all 16!)
• new mass air flow sensor
• new o2 sensors
• new intake air filter
• drained transmission fluid, replaced whole pan with new filter and all new mopar 8&9 spd trans fluid
• flushed radiator and filled with mopar coolant
• in/out speed sensor replaced
• replaced air change sensor (the one right off the curve part of the intake under the hood)
• cleaned cat converters with sea foam (x2)
• took to Dodge dealer they told me I needed a new Tranny and that would run me about 9grand **ck y** very much but not thanks, I know it’s not trans.

Latest was my buddy’s brother mechanic told me to check evap canister, fuel pump and gas tank for water…off to try that now. Anybody with any experience in this area I’m about to drive off a cliff I’ve dumped at least a thousand into various odds and ends with no luck yet…TIA

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
What did the tranny fluid look like? Clear or milky and foamed?

I'd be amazed if you did any damage at that level but these new trucks do have electronics all over the place the older ones didn't. 8 weeks sounds about right for water intrusion to turn into corrosion and start causing issues though. I'd be pulling all the connections looking for corrosion, starting from the lowest parts first. Depending on how hard you hit the puddle, some may have splashed up and into a module under the hood too.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Insurance companies total vehicles that go that deep. You may end up having to replace every harness in the truck. These trucks are notorious for electrical problems, without being under water. Just low battery voltage causes problems.

Afranky80

Reaction score
What did the tranny fluid look like? Clear or milky and foamed?

I'd be amazed if you did any damage at that level but these new trucks do have electronics all over the place the older ones didn't. 8 weeks sounds about right for water intrusion to turn into corrosion and start causing issues though. I'd be pulling all the connections looking for corrosion, starting from the lowest parts first. Depending on how hard you hit the puddle, some may have splashed up and into a module under the hood too.
The fluid was milky and foamy. Flushing and refilling twice has done nothing for the symptoms. I failed to mention while doing all the swaps I mentioned, that Everytime I was under the truck I would disconnect any electrical connection I’d see and blow out with compressor, examine visually, slap a dollop of dielectric grease on it and reconnect. So far nothing has improved. I appreciate the time you spent reading and commenting my guy 🤜🏼🤛🏼

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The RPM surge is most likely your torque converter locking and unlocking. Which if left unchecked can overheat the transmission.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Sounds like you were deeper than you thought if you got water in the transmission, and that's never a good thing.
The dealer quote of $9k seems outrageous but I do think a new transmission is in your future, even if it's not the root cause of the current issue. You could attempt to get yours torn down and repaired but I'd be worried about residual gremlins and opt for a replacement in this instance.

Last edited:

Afranky80

Reaction score
The RPM surge is most likely your torque converter locking and unlocking. Which if left unchecked can overheat the transmission.
I’ve heard the torque converter as a possibility in my ongoing search for diagnosis. Can you tell me the short version what that parts function is? I suppose I can just google it I just feel like I’ve been on the internet constantly and sometimes walk away more confused that when I started. What makes it easier to understand for me is if I understand what’s happening internally sort of like a human body. I know the symptoms if I haven’t eaten, or I’m dehydrated….the truck to me is similar and the more I understand the inner workings the more things make sense as to what could be wrong. Hence why I’ve spent most of my time with the intake and exhaust systems and the transmission well it sits the lowest on the truck so naturally I assumed it could have gotten water inside. Honestly I doubt the trans very seriously. I’m going out this morning to take fuel sample and check the evap canister for water. Then running a live data stream to record fuel trims and see what I see…as always I appreciate the comments and the time spent all you guys truly. Keep it coming I’m not out of the woods yet but I am determined to see this through, I’ve got a special bond with this truck and I’m not ready to send her to the bone yard!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve heard the torque converter as a possibility in my ongoing search for diagnosis. Can you tell me the short version what that parts function is? I suppose I can just google it I just feel like I’ve been on the internet constantly and sometimes walk away more confused that when I started. What makes it easier to understand for me is if I understand what’s happening internally sort of like a human body. I know the symptoms if I haven’t eaten, or I’m dehydrated….the truck to me is similar and the more I understand the inner workings the more things make sense as to what could be wrong. Hence why I’ve spent most of my time with the intake and exhaust systems and the transmission well it sits the lowest on the truck so naturally I assumed it could have gotten water inside. Honestly I doubt the trans very seriously. I’m going out this morning to take fuel sample and check the evap canister for water. Then running a live data stream to record fuel trims and see what I see…as always I appreciate the comments and the time spent all you guys truly. Keep it coming I’m not out of the woods yet but I am determined to see this through, I’ve got a special bond with this truck and I’m not ready to send her to the bone yard!
The torque converter acts kind of like a clutch in a manual transmission, but it does it with hydraulic action of transmission fluid. It also amplifies torque when not locked up. When it locks up, it's like a solid straight through transfer of power. The RPMs are higher when it unlocks because it's similar to slipping the clutch on a manual transmission.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's the hydraulic coupler, between the engine and transmission. It has 2 turbines inside, one that rotates at engine speed, and the other is connected to the transmission input shaft, and is turned by the fluid moved by the first. It has a "stall speed", where it is able to slip, and not be direct drive, but above that RPM, it is direct drive to the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread