5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flashlight Charging Dock Install

Ramster

Reaction score
I'll admit I have a tiny bit of a flashlight fetish so this is what I came up with. The flashlight is an Olight rechargeable with a magnetic base and is where it gets it's charge. The dock is magnetic and the usb cord has a magnet on the opposite end that connects to the dock. I didn't want to use the 3M sticky on the back of the dock so I popped off the plate covering the bolt to the console, got a longer bolt and found some thick plastic washers in the garage. I bought a usb extension and ran it all the way to the back of the console to the usb that functions only when the car is on. Completely out of the way of my leg and does not get knocked off. I may find a plastic piece to go between the dock and console to cover that hole up.
truck flashlight.jpg

brawler1588

Reaction score
Nice did you see the new Baton pro

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brawler1588

Reaction score
Nice definitely an olight fan just wish they had more neutral white options.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dailyherold

Reaction score
Well done! I want to do something similar, have you had any issues with 18560 batteries in your car due to temperature swings? Been trying to figure out a good truck flashlight and was leaning CR123 because they seem the widest temp range. Had an old Maglite and the alkaline D cells leaked a couple times, so I'm done with alkaline for in-truck use.

Ramster

Reaction score
Well done! I want to do something similar, have you had any issues with 18560 batteries in your car due to temperature swings? Been trying to figure out a good truck flashlight and was leaning CR123 because they seem the widest temp range. Had an old Maglite and the alkaline D cells leaked a couple times, so I'm done with alkaline for in-truck use.

I can't say that I have had any issues yet but will see next year in the summer heat.

rotts4u

Reaction score
Can you post some photos of the mount with the light out? I would like to see more details so I can do one for myself. My employer is an olight dealer

dailyherold

Reaction score
Been thinking more about this. I just ordered one of these top console organizers and might try using the usb plug in there with the Olight L-Dock mounted horizontally to the organizer itself. Not sure if horizontal mounting will be too much for the magnet, which will depend on flashlight and whether I float it off of top console floor. But could be a clean setup for out of site charging and storage.

Ramster

Reaction score
Can you post some photos of the mount with the light out? I would like to see more details so I can do one for myself. My employer is an olight dealer
Sorry it took so long. I measured to get the extra length needed for the bolt and took the original to the hardware store and matched the threads. I can't remember the sizes, sorry. Then drilled a hole between the two existing holes in the mount. I then stacked some plastic washers I found in the garage so the bolt would tighten inside where it's supposed to instead of on the outside edge of the hole. I have yet to finish the project by finding a plate to cover the hole.
light dock.jpg

Ramster

Reaction score
Been thinking more about this. I just ordered one of these top console organizers and might try using the usb plug in there with the Olight L-Dock mounted horizontally to the organizer itself. Not sure if horizontal mounting will be too much for the magnet, which will depend on flashlight and whether I float it off of top console floor. But could be a clean setup for out of site charging and storage.
Another good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online