5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First tow with the 2019

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hooked up the camper and took a ride down to the the tire store. Trailer tires were 2 years old and 13000 miles. Not bad for a set of China bombs. Replaced with Goodyear endurance made in the USA.

30 mile round trip. The truck towed great. I would call it effortless compared to my old truck. Smoother and more controlled, less wallowy, less bounce. I haven’t even dialed-in the WD hitch yet and it’s so much better. This is my first truck with air suspension and wow what a difference towing.

Hitching up was a little different with the air suspension. Decided to use jack mode to stop the truck from adjusting while I was hitching and hooking the WD bars and it worked well. I did use the air suspension to lower the truck initially to get the ball under the hitch and then raise the truck to get the ball in the coupler, pretty cool.

I’ve got an 1100 mile trip coming up. That’ll be the true test of this new truck. Initial impressions are very good. D26A81EA-0E2A-4548-ADB6-0C0AF0980311.jpeg

Last edited:

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What was your previous truck?
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie QC 4x2 3.6 3.55

Towed the same camper 13000 miles with that rig. Obviously acceleration is much improved as I expected. Pleasantly surprised with the suspension being so much better tho. It was a short trip but the difference was obvious. 54B9DB9B-B3D6-4097-8A5C-FF8D57D1E1F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just towed my 22’ enclosed car hauler for the first time. Truck towed great. Much smoother than my 2010 Ram. Still only gets 10 mpg but other than that felt very secure and comfortable

Attachments

• D66EC043-5FE5-46CD-9624-D94809CA1F55.jpeg
    D66EC043-5FE5-46CD-9624-D94809CA1F55.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 57

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just towed our travel trailer 1100 miles with the new 2019. Three day trip with 2 camping stops along the way.

Started the trip with 600 miles on the odometer. Truck had driver, passenger, small dog plus 200lbs cargo in the bed. See trailer specs in my signature.

The truck towed very well. Dash said 10.3mpg average for the entire trip including lots of idling with a/c on for the dog while we had sit-down lunches each day. 65mph highway most of the way. Effortless acceleration, plenty of power in the hills. Tow/haul engaged, 7th gear running on flat ground, occasionally 8th, 6th gear up hills. Brakes are excellent.

Once we were on the road I found some flat ground and made a couple of measurements on the trailer height. Found that the trailer was about 1” nose high even with the truck in Aero mode (lowest ride setting). So I towed the whole trip in aero more. Even with the trailer slightly nose high the truck handled very well. So well, I didn’t make any adjustments to the hitch during the trip. Dropped the hitch head when we got home to get the trailer leveled. Truck was very stable, no porpoising, excellent control of the trailer tongue weight. Felt big trucks passing me on the highway though (truck suck), hopefully this will improve now that the hitch is adjusted and trailer is level.

Bottom line, my fatigue level at the end of each 400 mile day was much better than with my previous truck. That says a lot.

DDoug

Reaction score
Just towed our travel trailer 1100 miles with the new 2019. Three day trip with 2 camping stops along the way.

Started the trip with 600 miles on the odometer. Truck had driver, passenger, small dog plus 200lbs cargo in the bed. See trailer specs in my signature.

The truck towed very well. Dash said 10.3mpg average for the entire trip including lots of idling with a/c on for the dog while we had sit-down lunches each day. 65mph highway most of the way. Effortless acceleration, plenty of power in the hills. Tow/haul engaged, 7th gear running on flat ground, occasionally 8th, 6th gear up hills. Brakes are excellent.

Once we were on the road I found some flat ground and made a couple of measurements on the trailer height. Found that the trailer was about 1” nose high even with the truck in Aero mode (lowest ride setting). So I towed the whole trip in aero more. Even with the trailer slightly nose high the truck handled very well. So well, I didn’t make any adjustments to the hitch during the trip. Dropped the hitch head when we got home to get the trailer leveled. Truck was very stable, no porpoising, excellent control of the trailer tongue weight. Felt big trucks passing me on the highway though (truck suck), hopefully this will improve now that the hitch is adjusted and trailer is level.

Bottom line, my fatigue level at the end of each 400 mile day was much better than with my previous truck. That says a lot.
Thank you for your good report . With a 2019 Lone Star Classic , I was wondering if the 3.92 gear was better than my 3.21's ; it sounds like it is. My trailer is 5400 lbs. loaded,and I used 6th on level , 7th with a tail wind, with 4th & 5th in the mountains. 3965 mile trip averaged 9.3 mph. I'd have to recommend 3.92's to anyone.

Attachments

• 100_1049.JPG
    100_1049.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 41

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not surprised that you run one gear lower with the 3.21. We are probably running comparable rpms though. Please give us more impressions on your tow and trip. We were down in the Southwest a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

DDoug

Reaction score
Not surprised that you run one gear lower with the 3.21. We are probably running comparable rpms though. Please give us more impressions on your tow and trip. We were down in the Southwest a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

Living just NW of San Antonio; we headed for Sedona Az. on Interstate 10. We had 2 weels to burn ; so from there it was Lake Powell Az ,then Grand Junction Co. at Colo. National Monument Park. This park has a 22 mile rim drive that blows your socks off !
From there ,we went down to Alamosa Co. to ride the train to Laveta Co. and back ,which I have to say was disappointing. Too slow and long time.
Then it was time to head home - 3965 miles round trip , this Ram is a good truck. Running about 65 mph, we did have a major scare when Patricia was passing a tractor-trailer ; steering back into the right lane , she hit a major truck rut and got hit with a wind gust at the same time. Trailer wagged really hard left ,then an equal wag to the right; then corrected pretty much on its own.
Like I said , wish I had the 3.92s. Yes , you and I were probably running close to the same RPM ; but you would have a better pull advantage with the better gear multiplication .

Attachments

• 100_1058.JPG
    100_1058.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread