5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Tow Report with TT

RamFan2019

Reaction score
We went on our first long trip with new Truck and TT, figured I would post up a quick Tow Report. Total round trip was 382 miles from Northern RI to Woodstock VT, according to the Trucks onboard MPG meter we averaged about 10.9 MPG towing. I was a bit concerned about how the truck would perform as we have the 3.21's but overall I was very pleased. Heading up from RI to VT there are some longer grades and I was able to maintain 55-60 with no problems whatsoever. We are towing a TT that is 30' overall length with a dry weight of 5600Lbs and loaded probably to about 6600 ( i have not yet scaled it) and TT GVWR of 7500Lbs. Dry Tongue weight of 560 Lbs and I estimate loaded aprox 880 Including our hitch, which is a Eaz-lift Trekker WDH with Sway control. Stability was very good overall, with just some minimal suction effect with Semi trucks passing by at about 70MPH. It was basically a one hand on the wheel tow the whole way, and very non stressful, this is our first TT so I do not have much to compare it to ;) . On the way home we did encounter some light wind gusts of 15MPH, I could definitely feel the TT moving a bit but nothing I would consider concerning.

As we've started to load the TT a bit more I am thinking I may want to adjust the WDH hitch a bit more. I know I have to scale it at some point but from measuring the wheel well heights I think I need a bit more distribution. Unloaded the truck sits at 37.5" Rear and 36.5" front. I measured right before we departed and it was sitting at 37" Rear and 37" front. I think I may try to get the front back to the 36.5" height...

Hope everyone has a great fathers day Weekend!

IMG_1689.JPG

blakei

Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for the report. We're doing our first tow next weekend with a Jayco 28BHS, which is about the same length but a bit heavier overall and on the tongue weight-- I think I'll be 7500lbs and about 850lbs tongue (guesstimated). Will try to post a report!

Users who are viewing this thread