5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First tow 2021 Hemi Quad Cab

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I had my first longish loaded tow with the new rig this weekend. It’s a 21 Hemi 3.21 Quad cab 4x4.

I pulled an unloaded trailer to (not really a test) southern Wisconsin and dropped it off. On my way home (stopped in northern Indiana to grab one of my boats) I averaged 24.8 mpg on the evic. It reached a high of 25.2. Conditions were very good with no wind to speak of. Speeds were mostly 55-70 with cruise control on as much as possible. I’m pretty impressed so far. At the start of that trip it had about 1100 miles. Running 87 exclusively and I’ve yet to hear any detonation (it was a common sound on my 2010 Hemi).

The tow back to Indianapolis consisted first of mostly 2 lane and small towns at 55-65 mph. I had a 15 mph side wind the whole way. 2nd half is all 70 mph highway cruising. The truck showed 12.7 there. I’m confident it’ll do better without the wind and getting the nose of the boat down more.

The boat and trailer weigh around 4000-4500 lbs together and the windshield sticks up some and catches some air. This boat would generally take about 3-4 mpg towing off my old trucks because of height compared to my other rigs.

The truck had no real squat with the boat hooked and it felt such that I really couldn’t “notice” there was additional weight on the hitch. It had about another 400 or so in the bed of random end of season gear from the cabin. Squat was much more pronounced on my 2010 1500.

Power on the highway was wonderful as well as acceleration. The 8 speed and driveline tune makes acceleration feel effortless compared to older gas trucks I’ve owned. It was very easy to drive loaded even with the healthy side wind. It’s more eager to downshift to maintain speed than my older trucks. They would scrub about 5 mph before downshifting but this one I rarely saw the speedo move 1 number away from the set speed. The downshift from 7-6 is barely notable and 6-5 clearly nets some extra sound as it’s slightly over 3000 rpms but it’s still not annoying at all. It’s so nice to have that gear spread and not have massive changes in RPMs on downshifts. When controlling the throttle yourself it seems to be more inside your brain and either holds gear or up shifts or downshifts exactly the way you think it should based on your throttle foot and road conditions.

Throughly impressed with the rig so far.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Also forgot to add. It was cool out. About 65 for the whole trip. Pretty flat. Peak temps below.
Oil -228
Trans -190
Coolant -205.

Normally no load the oil has been running 219-221.

Users who are viewing this thread