5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time towing

Viper67

Reaction score
I hooked up my 26’ flatbed yesterday and made a run for just over an hour each way. Trailer is about 1500 lbs and I had about 1800 in cargo. No major issues pulling it. However the truck had serious squat. I have a scale coming to measure the tongue weight. I moved the weight the the rear of the trailer but stayed at 55mph all the way home as the rear would start to fish tail. I have air bags coming so that will help squat. Hopefully tongue weight is at or below 1100lbs.

I can easily see how 1500s have issues towing as I could definitely tell the truck was lighter than my 3500 dually diesel. But no issues pulling to stopping - trailer has brake on Both axles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NordicNevs

Reaction score
If I’m reading that correctly, with that set up you’re at 3300lbs
Even at 20% tongue weight that’s only 660 lbs.

That should be no problem with your truck. Did you take it across the scales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Ok so a touch under 30% TW.

No doubt for these trucks you’ll have to be rather picky with placement.
I had a 3500 myself and though it was important it was impacted less.

Might want to get at or below 20% and you should see a lot less squat. With 26’ you should have some room to adjust depending on what it is. I think bags for stability and leveling and a little prep work (more than we would like I’m sure) these trucks will handle it ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viper67

Reaction score
I use it mostly for hauling two sxs’s around. Always ran the 4 seater up front. I can see about swapping them around. That would move maybe 250-300lbs to the rear. And I have air bags being installed this week.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you try a weight distributing hitch? I would do that before the airbags, since airbags just push the back end of the truck up, they don't correct it nearly as well as a WDH. Also much cheaper, and corrects other issues like sway and braking as well.

Viper67

Reaction score
Primary use for air bags is smoother ride with loaded or unloaded. And it will also help with the trailer. And yes I’ll swap out the stock hitch with a load bearing one down the road.

ortvk

Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. 26 foot travel trailer. 800 pound tongue weight and the trailer is roughly 6200 pounds loaded (may be a bit high). I get some serious squat in mine. More then my Mid Sized Colorado had! I do have a WDH. I'm guessing its because these trucks are springs and not leafs like a normal truck? I'm thinking some sort of air system in the rear is my only option.

Ram41313

Reaction score
I'm curious about this as well. 26 foot travel trailer. 800 pound tongue weight and the trailer is roughly 6200 pounds loaded (may be a bit high). I get some serious squat in mine. More then my Mid Sized Colorado had! I do have a WDH. I'm guessing its because these trucks are springs and not leafs like a normal truck? I'm thinking some sort of air system in the rear is my only option.
Timber grove makes a very nice air bag and easier then air lift to install

ortvk

Reaction score
Timber grove makes a very nice air bag and easier then air lift to install
do you happen to have a link to the product? I'm looking on their website but i'm only seeing factory rebel replacement bags. My rebel doesn't have airbags from factory.

Ram41313

Reaction score
do you happen to have a link to the product? I'm looking on their website but i'm only seeing factory rebel replacement bags. My rebel doesn't have airbags from factory.
It’s the very first set on the website it will say 2019 with factory suspension

Ram41313

Reaction score
Just go to the main page and go to shop u will see them

Viper67

Reaction score
Their stuff isn’t nearly as durable as air lifts. Stainless steel braided lines, plus hardware inside the bags etc. you get what you pay for.

Ram41313

Reaction score
Their stuff isn’t nearly as durable as air lifts. Stainless steel braided lines, plus hardware inside the bags etc. you get what you pay for.

My last set of airlift was just plastic lines

Derwoodjones

Reaction score
I tow my 32' camp trailer, 6200# with 800# tongue and both WDH and air bags. (roughly 3500 towing miles so far), no issues, through the mountains of Wyoming. I have the airlift 1000HDs

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
26’ flatbed yesterday and made a run for just over an hour each way. Trailer is about 1500 lbs

What twenty-six foot trailer is only 1500 lbs? My 18 foot deck (22 overall with bob tail) car trailer is 2750 by itself...

A 26' flat deck trailer is most likely pretty heavy, no? Last one I had that was an over deck trailer, also had a super long distance from axle(s) to tongue, causing the natural trailer balance to be almost 50% when loaded. Definitely not half ton category trailer, if its the type I'm thinking

silver billet

Reaction score
The Ram squats a little more than the GM twins, the towing reviews seem to point that out. But the upside is that the Ram drives like a luxury car and the Chevy side-skips and bounces over ruts and grooves. Can't have it both ways without air or magnetic ride of some sort.

silver billet

Reaction score
Last edited:

ortvk

Reaction score
The Ram squats a little more than the GM twins, the towing reviews seem to point that out. But the upside is that the Ram drives like a luxury car and the Chevy side-skips and bounces over ruts and grooves. Can't have it both ways without air or magnetic ride of some sort.

Totally understand. To me its just a bit odd since my mid-sized truck didn't squat as much as the Ram. But nothing some airbags won't easily fix. Plus it gives me a good reason to finally do some work on this thing!

Users who are viewing this thread