5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Time Towing Impressions

Fornstar

Reaction score
I have had the truck 1 month and have been extremely happy so far. Finally was able to get out and do some camping this weekend. First trip out for the season. Previously towed same trailer with an 04 Tahoe, 5.3L 4x4

Truck specs are in sig

Trailer is fairly light, 20ft overall. 3k dry. 250lbs of water. Maybe another 250 in food and all the other mess. Maybe another 250 in the truck bed. 2 adult, 1 seven year old, 1 skinny Black Lab and 1 fat Pug.

Had to lower the hitch for a level ride. Got it dialed in and she goes pretty flat. B950CD5A-3AFA-4C49-94B5-9DA1E7C6656B.jpeg

120 miles round trip:

Got out on the road and it was a little bouncy. Only been on the highway for a mile. I also forgot all my cast iron for cooking, so had to turn around and go back to the house. While I was there I moved some weight around in the trailer. Bounce problem solved! Running late, so hit stop and go traffic, YAY! Truck did fine in traffic, no problem with starts and stops. Finally got out of traffic and saw some open road. Luckily for me, had about 30 miles of crosswind. Truck did fine. Could myself getting pushed a little, but no big deal. After that 10 miles is back roads. Zero problems. Finally arrived at camp and set up 2 hours later than I wanted to be. 11C4F531-B409-45CF-B56B-749CC5F8CA44.jpeg
8B9EA4EC-143E-4171-AAE5-02270B5346F4.jpeg
Drive home was easy peasy. No traffic and no wind. Set cruise at 60 and rolled home.

Thoughts.
-Truck pulls great. Very pleased
-Truck rides great. Wife thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
-MPGs could be better. Got 11 (comp) on the way up with traffic and crosswind. I didn’t reset the computer but probably averaged 12-14 (guessing) on the way home. I’m fairly happy with that. Tahoe got 9.
-Tow/Haul mode shift points are high. Not sure I would use it if running on super flat road. Seems like you are always going up or down a grade in Western Washington.
-The dogs seemed fairly comfy with adequate room. Folded up the back seat and put their bed on the floor.

Very happy overall!

ARROWHAND

Reaction score
nice Rpod 190?

I'll be towing a 180 myself, expect no issues as the 2011 Ram towed it just fine

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I dont know dude, I think your pug might put you close to the limit. Maybe the pugs movement resulted in the trailer riding level. Time for a doggie diet. Just messing, I am a big fan of the delmonico color. You will not have any problems towing that weight. I tow a trailer thats about 6k loaded. Truck did not have any problems, and never needed to rev high to keep me going. Very very nice riding trucks. Enjoy!!!

Todd

Reaction score
I have had the truck 1 month and have been extremely happy so far. Finally was able to get out and do some camping this weekend. First trip out for the season. Previously towed same trailer with an 04 Tahoe, 5.3L 4x4

Truck specs are in sig

Trailer is fairly light, 20ft overall. 3k dry. 250lbs of water. Maybe another 250 in food and all the other mess. Maybe another 250 in the truck bed. 2 adult, 1 seven year old, 1 skinny Black Lab and 1 fat Pug.

Had to lower the hitch for a level ride. Got it dialed in and she goes pretty flat. View attachment 20902

120 miles round trip:

Got out on the road and it was a little bouncy. Only been on the highway for a mile. I also forgot all my cast iron for cooking, so had to turn around and go back to the house. While I was there I moved some weight around in the trailer. Bounce problem solved! Running late, so hit stop and go traffic, YAY! Truck did fine in traffic, no problem with starts and stops. Finally got out of traffic and saw some open road. Luckily for me, had about 30 miles of crosswind. Truck did fine. Could myself getting pushed a little, but no big deal. After that 10 miles is back roads. Zero problems. Finally arrived at camp and set up 2 hours later than I wanted to be. View attachment 20903
View attachment 20904
Drive home was easy peasy. No traffic and no wind. Set cruise at 60 and rolled home.

Thoughts.
-Truck pulls great. Very pleased
-Truck rides great. Wife thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
-MPGs could be better. Got 11 (comp) on the way up with traffic and crosswind. I didn’t reset the computer but probably averaged 12-14 (guessing) on the way home. I’m fairly happy with that. Tahoe got 9.
-Tow/Haul mode shift points are high. Not sure I would use it if running on super flat road. Seems like you are always going up or down a grade in Western Washington.
-The dogs seemed fairly comfy with adequate room. Folded up the back seat and put their bed on the floor.

Very happy overall!
Nice setup and I enjoyed your post!

trainman

Reaction score
We did our first towing this last week with our 2019 Ram, it handled the Casita just fine with no complaints. The Casita has a tongue weight of 430 lbs and it lowered the rear of our 4x4 Ram just a little under 1" at the rear when hooked up. We averaged 14.1 mpg and our driving speed was 65-68 mph. I did not put the Ram in tow mode at first and the mpg was a little less, .5 mpg or so. I did notice in tow mode the tach was running around 1.8 to 2.0 rpm and it does not shift to the top gear as it will with the tow mode off, but get better mileage in tow mode. These trailer pulls wonderful and never had any problem with wind, either blowing, or from 18-wheeler's.

trainman DSCN3749.JPG DSCN3731.JPG

awaywego

Reaction score
Nice setup! We have a 17' Casita SD and are condering buying the 2019 1500 Laramie LoneStar Crew.

Do you know if a trailer charge wire is included back to the 7-pin lug on the truck, regardless if any of the several Tow package offerings (mirrors, trilaer brakes, etc) are purchased? And do you know if that charge wire has a factory-installed battery isolation solenoid factory to stop the charge when truck is shut off?

Thanks!

GRB

Reaction score
Nice setup. Hoping you have many safe and happy camping trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/