5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Ram truck, Have some questions/need advice. Air suspension?

91TTZ

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new here! I had been searching for a ram for a few months, finally landed one last week. 22 Laramie 2500 miles. I have a few questions/concerns. Hoping for some feed back. This truck is equipped with the air suspension but has aftermarket wheels and tires. I will attach a photo for reference. This is how it sits in aero mode. 20230717_160052[1].jpg
20230719_154140[1].jpg
So the truck is fine on entry/exit, aero, and normal mode. Off road 1 and 2 is where I've experienced some issues. After getting home from the dealer about 18 miles. I tried raising the truck in the driveway to show everyone. I got the air suspension system cooling down warning for a while. Turned the truck off waited a bit. We decided to take the truck to dinner, got in and a block down the road got the service air suspension immediately warning and a payload warning. Truck seemed bouncy and leaning to a side. Left the truck at home and took another vehicle to dinner.

Next morning I got a call back from the dealer. Told me previous owner said something with the sensors causes the problem because of the aftermarket rims? Does that make sense? They are 22" wheels with 33inch Nitto Recon Grapplers with some kind of offset I guess. The truck runs beautifully in regular/aero mode. I've towed the boat 7klbs with no problem and the air suspension adjusted when it had the weight on back.

If this is a sensor problem, is this something that can be recalibrated? Kind of irritating because the truck had a 125 point "inspection" and is certified. I believe this dealer put these wheels on for him. Its the same dealer where the vehicle was purchased new, and where I purchased this vehicle. On the ram app it said it was serviced for wheels and a few other things at 10 miles. Wish I would of known that the aftermarket tires would cause a problem. I see a lot of people have aftermarket wheels on these with and without air suspension. I have had no other warnings with the suspension but haven't tried to raise it to offroad mode. Just looking for some input on this issue.

Screenshot_20230719_155448_Ram[1].jpg

Next, these Nitto Recons are currently at 36 psi, max psi is 80psi, for daily driving should I have these more inflated for longevity? Around 55 or 60? Never had a tire have such a high max psi.

I have the tow package. I get the calibration failed see manual message once every drive. I did some searching on here and I believe there is a fix for this?

Lastly, rear camera zoom in button only works sometimes. when I put truck in reverse it wont let me zoon in most times, only works once in a while. If I go to vehicle and select rear camera I can tap the zoom in and it works is this normal?

I have an appointment for Monday to bring the truck in. Was looking for some knowledge from the forum so I can get a better idea as to where I stand with this air suspension. They sold it to me with those wheels, certified it saying everything checked out. with longer powertrain warranty. I still have 27 months factory warranty as well. Last owner was American airlines pilot and has bought numerous vehicles from them always getting something new. Anyhow truck is awesome, love it. Just looking to solve these few issues. Thanks for taking the time.

20230711_185106[1].jpg 20230711_184626[1].jpg

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the previous owner added aftermarket suspension links to raise the ride height. It's a cheap way to give it a modest lift, but can affect the off road suspension settings. It's easy to tell if they've been swapped out or not. You can see the front links with the suspension raised to even the normal position by looking at the suspension through the top gap between the tire and fender.

91TTZ

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the previous owner added aftermarket suspension links to raise the ride height. It's a cheap way to give it a modest lift, but can affect the off road suspension settings. It's easy to tell if they've been swapped out or not. You can see the front links with the suspension raised to even the normal position by looking at the suspension through the top gap between the tire and fender.

Still learning about the truck and this air ride here are some of the suspension shots. See anything modified?
This is in aero mode.
20230719_163524[1].jpg 20230719_163505[1].jpg

Rear shot. 20230719_163555[1].jpg 20230719_163702[1].jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
First pic shows the suspension link on that corner the best. I'll have to take a look at our Limited to be sure, but I think that is an adjustable link you have on there. I seem to remember that the stock links are one piece made of plastic. I'll take a look when I get home from work today...

1689803488066.png

91TTZ

Reaction score
First pic shows the suspension link on that corner the best. I'll have to take a look at our Limited to be sure, but I think that is an adjustable link you have on there. I seem to remember that the stock links are one piece made of plastic. I'll take a look when I get home from work today...

View attachment 163313
Thanks that's appreciated, so basically the truck is already sitting up higher because of those adjustable links. The stock air suspension can only go so high up? Do the rears have the same adjustable links? I like the stance of the truck. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Those links look stock to me.

Here’s a pic from mine for reference. There should be no threads, so no adjustments possible.

IMG_0252.jpeg

91TTZ

Reaction score
Those links look stock to me.

Here’s a pic from mine for reference. There should be no threads, so no adjustments possible.

View attachment 163319
Thanks yea they look similar. I wonder then what would cause the issue with the air suspension from going into of1 and of2. Aero normal and entry are no problems runs great.

The rims are not stock but same size and the tires are nothing crazy. This dealer installed the wheels and tires for the guy and probably any other suspension part as well. They said they did 125 point inspection blah blah but the truck has problems going into of1 and of2. Guess I'll find out Monday.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I've read about that same issue before but don't remember the resolution. It's not likely anything to do with the tires other than a coincidence though.

Users who are viewing this thread