5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Oil Change, oil confusion, and already Leaking

california hauler

Reaction score
My 2020 EcoDiesel went in for the first oil change today and I had them look at the leak which my local shop identified when my Bilsteins were installed yesterday. Turns out the timing seal (or something like that) is bad so they need to tear it apart to fix it. Now the hope is it will be done before our trip on Wednesday. At least I get a free oil change out of it.

Also, they tried to tell me the Valvoline Euro 5W40 that I supplied did not meet spec and that they recommended Mopar Oil. They were surprised when I pushed back and was clear that I had done my homework and that the Valvoline Euro did meet Chrysler's MS-12991 spec and all other required specs as noted in the manual.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That sucks. Sounds like the same problem WXman had. The fix it quite lengthy.

I can't believe how useless the dealers are on this oil change issue.

Alijahan

Reaction score
As my service rep told me "make sure you document everything!". I had the same problem after the first oil change. It took 2 weeks to fix. On top of the timing cover the dealer had to replace fuel lines, oil pan seals, and injectors. After that the check engine light turned on and they replaced the thermostat. Now its on again and they possibly have to replace the computer system. Needless to say I'm pursuing other options. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else but just a word of caution.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep... my dealer has diesel techs so they're pretty good but I was still without my truck for two weeks.

california hauler

Reaction score
Yep... my dealer has diesel techs so they're pretty good but I was still without my truck for two weeks.
Now I'm getting more worried. Fingers crossed. We are supposed to leave on a trip on Wednesday, seems like I should bring it in after we get back and just check the oil frequently until I do.

Users who are viewing this thread