5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First oil change - Lifter Noise

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did my first oil change a few days ago.

Dealer gave me a free first oil change but I change my own. I'm not a fan of dealer oil changes after getting my F150 back with an oily door handle and a few slight scratches. My previous company car I always took to the local Firestone and never an issue.

I bought my 2016 F150 with the 2.7 and it had a plastic drain plug (quick turn and its out) with a top mounted, canister oil filter. Quick, easy, no mess oil changes.

With the Ram, it takes a bit more oil and has a normal screw on oil filter.

I like to get the break in oil switched out early and it running synthetic. I used Pennzoil Platinum in my F150s but on Amazon you can get thet Ultra Platinum for about the same price.

Bought 3 of the 5qt jugs and 2 Mopar filters. Gotta love how the oil filter will drip/drain right over the power steering gear and wiring harness. Not a well thought out design.

The Mopar oil filter must have had a bad anti drain back valve as the next few starts had a LOT of lifter noise, lasted 7-10 seconds or so.

A quick trip to Walmart (only place open) for a Fram Ultra Guard filter and she starts, runs and sounds better than on the factory oil.

It could have been a fluke, but from here on out I'll use Wix oil filters. No more Mopar for me. I used Motorcraft parts exclusively with my F150 and had no issues. Very disappointed in the Mopar oil filter quality.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1350. Changed at 1100. I drive 30,000 miles a year but have had a lot going on and driving a lot less this past month.

I've used Wix in my boats and never an issue. 8pm on July 4th and auto parts stores closed. Fram it was!

RT70808

Reaction score
1350. Changed at 1100. I drive 30,000 miles a year but have had a lot going on and driving a lot less this past month.

I've used Wix in my boats and never an issue. 8pm on July 4th and auto parts stores closed. Fram it was!
How many of you believe in the “early first oil change”?

Reactions: EOC

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many of you believe in the “early first oil change”?

Did it at 1,000 miles on my '14 F150, '16 Fusion, '16 F150 and the Ram. For the little cost it can't hurt to get the break in oil and materials out early.

Then at 5,000 miles and every 5k thereafter.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I'm with alot of folks here.....I ran Wix on all of my street bikes, my current track bike and all of the vehicles in the household.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It'll be close to 4000 miles when I get the first oil change done. I'm waiting until I get back to Florida.

Typically I'll get the first oil change done around 3000 miles unless the warranty requires it be done sooner.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
Had the dealer change mine @ 3100 miles. I took in a case of Amsoil Signature and had them use a mopar filter. They charged me $12.50 to change plus filter. AMSOIL was free from my father which has more cases of oil than Napa in his garage.

RBRK

Reaction score
I’ve always had good luck with the Mobil 1 filters. WalMart sells them for $10 I believe. They have a good gasket unlike the Mopar ones that you have to over tighten or they seem to leak. I had an occasional oil drain back lifter noise since day 1 in my truck. I waited til 3750 miles and chenged over to synthetic and A Mobil 1 filter and haven’t heard it since.

MoPowr84

Reaction score
I changed the filter only and topped off the oil at 500 miles. Lifter noise went away totally. I bought a Fram ultra guard filter and then topped off with Mobil 1. I did the 1st full change at 5000 and haven’t heard a noise since getting rid of the Mopar filter.

Diesel

Reaction score
There is no such thing as break-in oil anymore with modern day vehicles that are released to the consumer, just like there is no more break-in period in your user manual. The break-in period is done at the factory for these motors and the trans and is why most if not all tranny fluid changes are not required either--anybody seen a dip stick on these trans? With that said, there is a lot of old timers who own these trucks, to include myself (51) that hold true through and through the frequent interval oil changes believed to save the motor later. I hold true to these values as well, but I also know how good today's oil is even from the factory. Therefore, I will make a conscious and realistic decision to swap in the good stuff. I have occasional lifter tick but it is gone within seconds.

My plan, 5000 miles and swapping to full synthetic and it will be with Castrol Edge w/Fram Ultra Guard or even WIX. I want a good bed in period with the synthetic blend that Ram put in the motor. I believe that swapping to full synthetic to early may negate that bed in process, just my experience with no empirical evidence. I will say, that I have yet to lose or burn any oil in 2700miles, dip stick is clean and full. Just my 2 cents

Ranger

Reaction score
Agree with above comment on realizing the advances in oil technology over the decades, and the difference between a 2019 new car and 1980 new car when it comes to the first 5k miles of use and maintenance.

On a separate note, anyone changed their transfer case oil yet? I change that on every new 4x4 after the 1st year or 15k miles, whichever comes first. Reason: between the engine, transmission, transfer case, and axle differentials ... the transfer case yields the most metal shavings during "break-in" time the first year. Pop the drain plug and check out the magnet and all the stuff that is stuck to it after only a year's use --> pretty eye opening.

Simple and quick job. Remove transfer case drain plug, crack upper fill plug to allow for best drain without a vacuum effect, clean and reinstall drain plug, remove fill plug, add gear oil until it drips out of fill hole, reinstall fill plug. Feel better knowing the factory shavings are gone from the case and the magnet is clean to do it's job for several years without worry. Costs maybe $50 in quality gear oil, and takes under an hour.

Make sure to use either 4WD HI or AUTO every now and then (monthly) to allow the transfer case gears to spin and sling oil around inside the case to recoat everything with "fresh" oil and sweep any contaminants down to the bottom of the case for the magnet to catch. I try to engage 4wd every month and take a trip around the neighborhood real quick to keep the system in check. This also prevents the input/output/idler shafts from sitting too long in the same position and developing poor wear or flat spots. Also keeps the seals lubricated (in the front axle too) so they don't prematurely wear out.

Diesel

Reaction score
Agree with above comment on realizing the advances in oil technology over the decades, and the difference between a 2019 new car and 1980 new car when it comes to the first 5k miles of use and maintenance.

On a separate note, anyone changed their transfer case oil yet? I change that on every new 4x4 after the 1st year or 15k miles, whichever comes first. Reason: between the engine, transmission, transfer case, and axle differentials ... the transfer case yields the most metal shavings during "break-in" time the first year. Pop the drain plug and check out the magnet and all the stuff that is stuck to it after only a year's use --> pretty eye opening.

Simple and quick job. Remove transfer case drain plug, crack upper fill plug to allow for best drain without a vacuum effect, clean and reinstall drain plug, remove fill plug, add gear oil until it drips out of fill hole, reinstall fill plug. Feel better knowing the factory shavings are gone from the case and the magnet is clean to do it's job for several years without worry. Costs maybe $50 in quality gear oil, and takes under an hour.

Make sure to use either 4WD HI or AUTO every now and then (monthly) to allow the transfer case gears to spin and sling oil around inside the case to recoat everything with "fresh" oil and sweep any contaminants down to the bottom of the case for the magnet to catch. I try to engage 4wd every month and take a trip around the neighborhood real quick to keep the system in check. This also prevents the input/output/idler shafts from sitting too long in the same position and developing poor wear or flat spots. Also keeps the seals lubricated (in the front axle too) so they don't prematurely wear out.
Ranger, all great comments and excellent maintenance tips and suggestions. My last Ram 1500 was 4x4 and cycling the transfer case or changing the oil in it never crossed my mind even know I never had any issues. I will say, the Corporate 8" rear diff needs a good flush every 16-18000miles. Just like you mentioned, when you pull that magnetic drain plug, the metallic gunk is no joke; just be sure to add the anti-wear additive to the oil change. Excellent Feedback!

Users who are viewing this thread