5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First journey

firebet

Reaction score
Greetings, I am new to the RAM family. I had been contemplating this purchase for well over a year, but with interest rates and MSRPs going wild, it never seemed like a good time...

Had test-driven a 2019 5.7 silver hemi (no etorque) and tire-kicked the 2023 and 2024 built-to-serve models that I found on some lots. Also drove the 2024 BTS silver V6 to compare, but the V8 is in another league! Also conscious 2024 is the last year for hemi's, before the hurricane takes over so that spurred me on. Really like the look of the BTS, and appreciated the overall package, especially the 2023 in the blue. But ultimately after driving one, I think I just wasn't a fan of the vinyl seating. Anyway, not liking vinyl or leather seats kinda ruled out buying a BTS, or a Laramie and above. So a Bighorn with cloth seats it is!

The Night Edition in the silver caught my eye, and I nearly snagged one in January but it was sold before I could make an offer. Sadly the new year incentives also disappeared at the end of January so I waited to see what Feb might bring. Apparently nothing better that would help my cause... Plenty of money off Laramie and Limited's in my area this month. Or if you wanted a 4x2. No good for me though.

So I'd almost given up hope until I spotted a price drop on a Bighorn Granite Crystal Night Edition at a local dealership. Checking the history it had sat on the lot for a while, so I figured they might be wanting to push it. Color wasn't my first choice but in person it looks stunning! Had all the basic features I wanted with the exception of perhaps some more of the safety packages (the wife likes the blind-spot warning) but that wasn't a deal-breaker - it has blind-spot mirrors. I figured I would see what they wanted for it. Took 6hrs of haggling and BS but ultimately I got what I thought was a reasonable deal. I'm sure I got rolled somehow in the financing, but it was the end of the month so maybe they just wanted a sale?

Anyway, 5 days in, only 200 miles but loving it so far. By far the most luxurious-feeling vehicle I've ever driven - and it's a truck! 12" display is clear. I haven't noticed any of the gremlins that others have reported with the Uconnect system. Navigation is a _major_ improvement over previous vehicles I've had sat nav in. Still can't beat google maps, but it's more than passable in the Ram, and turn-by-turn nicely integrated into the dash too. Entertainment system is good. Never had CarPlay before so that's new to me. Backup camera is clear and parking sensors work. Haven't dared try the auto-park function yet!

Minor concerns - battery seemed low the first couple of days; as low as 12.5V but was up to 13.8V today so I presume is okay? Auto stop/start doesn't kick in, ever. Just says "Not available". Even with all Comfort off. No errors. I see another thread where someone has a similar issue and hasn't solved it. Other members are jealously congratulating them :) I have the same stop/start feature in another older STLA vehicle and always just turn it off manually anyway, so really not fussed that it doesn't work in the truck unless it is a symptom of something more nefarious that is wrong? Final issue was while reversing out of a parking lot today, put it in reverse and it rolled forward before engaging the reverse drive. I wasn't on a noticeable slope. Had I been closer to the car in front I would have nudged it. Not too impressed with that. Scanning the forum appears to point to the Hill Start feature being on? I will disengage that to see if it happens again.

This weekend will add a set of running boards to allow the family to climb in and out easier. Maybe a bed-cover too, in time.

Attachments

• Granite1.jpg
    Granite1.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 24

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As far as I know, the Big Horn doesn't have auto park. Are you thinking about ParkSense and rear park assist with stop?

Normal battery voltage with the engine off should be 12.5-12.6 volts

firebet

Reaction score
I see Cunningham's Law still holds true! You're right. Just ParkSense. I must have misread the specs and thought all ParkSense features included Park-Assist too but that seems not to be the case. Which is fine - never planned on using it anyway.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings, I am new to the RAM family. I had been contemplating this purchase for well over a year, but with interest rates and MSRPs going wild, it never seemed like a good time...

Had test-driven a 2019 5.7 silver hemi (no etorque) and tire-kicked the 2023 and 2024 built-to-serve models that I found on some lots. Also drove the 2024 BTS silver V6 to compare, but the V8 is in another league! Also conscious 2024 is the last year for hemi's, before the hurricane takes over so that spurred me on. Really like the look of the BTS, and appreciated the overall package, especially the 2023 in the blue. But ultimately after driving one, I think I just wasn't a fan of the vinyl seating. Anyway, not liking vinyl or leather seats kinda ruled out buying a BTS, or a Laramie and above. So a Bighorn with cloth seats it is!

The Night Edition in the silver caught my eye, and I nearly snagged one in January but it was sold before I could make an offer. Sadly the new year incentives also disappeared at the end of January so I waited to see what Feb might bring. Apparently nothing better that would help my cause... Plenty of money off Laramie and Limited's in my area this month. Or if you wanted a 4x2. No good for me though.

So I'd almost given up hope until I spotted a price drop on a Bighorn Granite Crystal Night Edition at a local dealership. Checking the history it had sat on the lot for a while, so I figured they might be wanting to push it. Color wasn't my first choice but in person it looks stunning! Had all the basic features I wanted with the exception of perhaps some more of the safety packages (the wife likes the blind-spot warning) but that wasn't a deal-breaker - it has blind-spot mirrors. I figured I would see what they wanted for it. Took 6hrs of haggling and BS but ultimately I got what I thought was a reasonable deal. I'm sure I got rolled somehow in the financing, but it was the end of the month so maybe they just wanted a sale?

Anyway, 5 days in, only 200 miles but loving it so far. By far the most luxurious-feeling vehicle I've ever driven - and it's a truck! 12" display is clear. I haven't noticed any of the gremlins that others have reported with the Uconnect system. Navigation is a _major_ improvement over previous vehicles I've had sat nav in. Still can't beat google maps, but it's more than passable in the Ram, and turn-by-turn nicely integrated into the dash too. Entertainment system is good. Never had CarPlay before so that's new to me. Backup camera is clear and parking sensors work. Haven't dared try the auto-park function yet!

Minor concerns - battery seemed low the first couple of days; as low as 12.5V but was up to 13.8V today so I presume is okay? Auto stop/start doesn't kick in, ever. Just says "Not available". Even with all Comfort off. No errors. I see another thread where someone has a similar issue and hasn't solved it. Other members are jealously congratulating them :) I have the same stop/start feature in another older STLA vehicle and always just turn it off manually anyway, so really not fussed that it doesn't work in the truck unless it is a symptom of something more nefarious that is wrong? Final issue was while reversing out of a parking lot today, put it in reverse and it rolled forward before engaging the reverse drive. I wasn't on a noticeable slope. Had I been closer to the car in front I would have nudged it. Not too impressed with that. Scanning the forum appears to point to the Hill Start feature being on? I will disengage that to see if it happens again.

This weekend will add a set of running boards to allow the family to climb in and out easier. Maybe a bed-cover too, in time.
Hill start assist shouldn't cause the truck to roll forward. And I don't think I've ever had my hill start assist engage since I've owned the truck. The engine torque at idle has held in on any hill ive stopped on. But I do have the brenhold features with my TazerDT on, which is nice. Had it finished shifting to reverse before you took foot off the brake?

firebet

Reaction score
I tried it twice to be sure, and both times it rolled forward. Going to experiment today on different grades to see if I can reproduce and narrow down what the problem might be.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new truck . I hope you get it all figured out .

firebet

Reaction score
500 mile update. No further weird rolling issues when reversing. I am waiting slightly after engaging reverse gear now before releasing the brake, maybe that's working (as HSKR R/T suggested?) Battery seems fine now. Auto Stop/Start still never "Ready" no matter what. I'm not overly concerned, but I recall other STLA vehicles with this function not working can indicate battery issues (source: I also own an older Pacifica where this has been a problem). The only other glitch was the other day, CarPlay constantly trying to take control of my UConnect every few seconds, until I managed to figure out how to disconnect the phone and stop it!

Overall, love driving this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread