5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally, the Map Update - IF you can call it that...

fxdrider

Reaction score
Finally got to order the much-waited-for Navigation Map update. It arrived today and I instantly installed it. It took 90 minutes to complete, with the engine running the entire time - but gas is cheap, right!?

Anyway, I took it for a test drive to see what local updates were included. The answer: NOT MANY! For the past 2 years a new home development has been being built right behind my house - complete with several new streets. These streets appear on Google Maps, Waze, and the iPhone Maps app - but NOT the "discounted-for $100 dollars-NAV update."
Also, major construction on the nearest interchange of I-95 was completed several months ago - but you'd never know iy by using Ram's updated NAV maps. All of the phone apps have it though.
I only found one actual "update" in the local world in which I travel - a dirt road which has existed for at least 4 decades...but somehow never made it on the NAV map until now. I guess I'll take what I can get. But I know what I won't be getting again...the Map update!
It's too bad, because I really want to like it. Where it's up to date, it's really nice. I just can't trust its accuracy. Such a disappointment.

Geddesk2

Reaction score
I installed the most current maps by downloading them from the stellanis site to a USB stick and plugging it into the truck, took 30min. I live in a new development and all the roads along with speed limits are now in there, before I was driving in trees lol. Free and very easy.

Now why my brand new 2024 truck didn't have the latest available maps from the factory I have NO clue. I called the dealer and they said bring it in and they would do it, but this was way faster.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got to order the much-waited-for Navigation Map update. It arrived today and I instantly installed it. It took 90 minutes to complete, with the engine running the entire time - but gas is cheap, right!?

Anyway, I took it for a test drive to see what local updates were included. The answer: NOT MANY! For the past 2 years a new home development has been being built right behind my house - complete with several new streets. These streets appear on Google Maps, Waze, and the iPhone Maps app - but NOT the "discounted-for $100 dollars-NAV update."
Also, major construction on the nearest interchange of I-95 was completed several months ago - but you'd never know iy by using Ram's updated NAV maps. All of the phone apps have it though.
I only found one actual "update" in the local world in which I travel - a dirt road which has existed for at least 4 decades...but somehow never made it on the NAV map until now. I guess I'll take what I can get. But I know what I won't be getting again...the Map update!
It's too bad, because I really want to like it. Where it's up to date, it's really nice. I just can't trust its accuracy. Such a disappointment.
Factory Nav updates are always at least three years behind. Also, you can usually loon to see what has been updated. Sometimes they only focus on certain parts of the country. Usually the larger metro areas.

You can't expect construction done within the previous 6 min the to be part of an update that was probably in the final stages of being done a year prior.

It's just better to use Google Maps or Waze IMO

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, appreciate you taking one for the team.

I've yet to find a car maker who's nav system rivals Waze.
I'm personally not a fan of Waze. I stopped using it when it was consistently showing me driving about 100 yds off course on side streets when I was cruising down the freeway. Always updating to try and get me back to the freeway I was already driving on. Add in that I wasn't getting turn notifications until I was in the intersection. Went back to Google maps and have been good

Users who are viewing this thread