5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally bit the bullet on bigger tires Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT (275/65R20)

1997pgt

Reaction score
After a ton of back and forth between buying new wheels & tires vs just buying bigger tires i finally settled on keeping the factory 20's and put on a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's in a 275/65R20 (34.1" x 10.8"). Absolutely zero rubbing at all with plenty of room to spare and i'm still on factory suspension (i do have the factory off road package though). Me personally i like white lettered tires and I was surprised to find that it was almost impossible finding a 20" tire that had white lettering, even the BFG's which ALWAYS had white lettering didn't carry any except in a 18" wheel and smaller. So far the Coopers ride very similar to the factory tires even though these are a E load range AT tire and the tires are also surprisingly quiet (or the 5th gens sound deadening is that good).

Attachments

• IMG_8012.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_8014.jpg
    IMG_8014.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a ton of back and forth between buying new wheels & tires vs just tires while trying to pick a size to go with i finally settled on keeping the factory 20's and put on a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's in a 275/65R20 (34.1" x 10.8"). Absolutely zero rubbing at all and i'm still on factory suspension, i do have the factory off road package though. Me personally i like white lettered tires and it was almost impossible finding a 20" tire that had white lettering which was surprising, even the BFG's didn't carry any only in 18" and smaller. So far the Coopers ride very similar to the factory tires even being a E load range AT tire, tires are surprisingly quiet (or the 5th gens sound deadening is that good).
Those look good. I’m thinking about the Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/60/r20s on my stock Longhorn 20” wheels. But these Coopers also look good, and if the road noise isn’t that much, they’re a contender. :)

1997pgt

Reaction score
Those look good. I’m thinking about the Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/60/r20s on my stock Longhorn 20” wheels. But these Coopers also look good, and if the road noise isn’t that much, they’re a contender. :)

Thanks! The Ridge Grapplers were on my short list too until a buddy of mine who is a master tech for a local Ford dealer around here steered me away from them. He told me he gets a lot of trucks in that have the Ridge Grapplers and he's had a lot wear out prematurely and the tread get "choppy" after less than a year of use. He did however say that he has a lot of guys that come in with well over 50k on the Nitto Terra Grapplers and they hold up really good and wear even, just some food for thought.

P.S. - The road noise is virtually non existent, i'd equate them to the factory Falken WIldpeak's i had before

Benji6989

Reaction score
After a ton of back and forth between buying new wheels & tires vs just buying bigger tires i finally settled on keeping the factory 20's and put on a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's in a 275/65R20 (34.1" x 10.8"). Absolutely zero rubbing at all with plenty of room to spare and i'm still on factory suspension (i do have the factory off road package though). Me personally i like white lettered tires and I was surprised to find that it was almost impossible finding a 20" tire that had white lettering, even the BFG's which ALWAYS had white lettering didn't carry any except in a 18" wheel and smaller. So far the Coopers ride very similar to the factory tires even though these are a E load range AT tire and the tires are also surprisingly quiet (or the 5th gens sound deadening is that good).
I run these on my 08 ram, hard to find white letter tires on 20’s these days

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! The Ridge Grapplers were on my short list too until a buddy of mine who is a master tech for a local Ford dealer around here steered me away from them. He told me he gets a lot of trucks in that have the Ridge Grapplers and he's had a lot wear out prematurely and the tread get "choppy" after less than a year of use. He did however say that he has a lot of guys that come in with well over 50k on the Nitto Terra Grapplers and they hold up really good and wear even, just some food for thought.

P.S. - The road noise is virtually non existent, i'd equate them to the factory Falken WIldpeak's i had before
I have 30,000+ miles on my 305/55R20 116Q Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they are running just as smooth and quiet as they were when I got them. They haven't worn out that much at all and tread wear is even across all 4. I keep them at 37psi and rotate them every 5-7K miles. A few things to note.. I am on the road 97% of the time. The few times I have been off road has been on grass only at about 5mph tops. If you're like me and want a tire with the off-road look and appearance without the noisy rough ride the Ridge Grappler will please you as it has me.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 30,000+ miles on my 305/55R20 116Q Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they are running just as smooth and quiet as they were when I got them. They haven't worn out that much at all and tread wear is even across all 4. I keep them at 37psi and rotate them every 5-7K miles. A few things to note.. I am on the road 97% of the time. The few times I have been off road has been on grass only at about 5mph tops. If you're like me and want a tire with the off-road look and appearance without the noisy rough ride the Ridge Grappler will please you as it has me.
A few pics of the 285/60r20 Grapplers on the truck.

Attachments

• 68E404E1-19EE-487F-8BF3-5522B5AB11C0.jpeg
    68E404E1-19EE-487F-8BF3-5522B5AB11C0.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 342
  • 93279F3D-69E6-4A03-A2DC-F57A6CE6A429.jpeg
    93279F3D-69E6-4A03-A2DC-F57A6CE6A429.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 9122A97E-3331-459E-86C4-F53487916F1D.jpeg
    9122A97E-3331-459E-86C4-F53487916F1D.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 335

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A few pics of the 285/60r20 Grapplers on the truck.
Man they look great on those wheels. It still blows my mind how smooth and quiet they run with the tread pattern and side wall like that. Question... Did you experience any balancing issues with them?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man they look great on those wheels. It still blows my mind how smooth and quiet they run with the tread pattern and side wall like that. Question... Did you experience any balancing issues with them?
Thanks. No balancing issues but there is a slight rub when doing a full lock turn in reverse. The Discount tire guy showed me issue. The tire rubs against a bit of the plastic wheel liner. I could trim it with shears and I might do so. But it’s really not a big deal. Oh, and my truck is not leveled or lifted. I suspect leveling the front would solve the problem. But I kinda like the raked look.

Attachments

• 9E69F013-8C1E-4A66-8C7E-8E40AB5FA7D8.jpeg
    9E69F013-8C1E-4A66-8C7E-8E40AB5FA7D8.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 259

sergetexan

Reaction score
Thanks. No balancing issues but there is a slight rub when doing a full lock turn in reverse. The Discount tire guy showed me issue. The tire rubs against a bit of the plastic wheel liner. I could trim it with shears and I might do so. But it’s really not a big deal. Oh, and my truck is not leveled or lifted. I suspect leveling the front would solve the problem. But I kinda like the raked look.

4 WD or 2 WD? Assume rubbing on 2 WD unless leveled

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I experience the rub as well at full lock in reverse but not if i take it slow. My truck is also at stock height. I for one feel that the front end rake is too low IMO and at the least plan on leveling the front end. I purchased the 3.5" sst Readylift kit about 4 months and still haven't installed it yet. I found it one evening by luck for $628.00 listed by a site and thought if i don't buy it now then i might miss the deal... (the price seemed too good to be true). Sure enough the website i purchased it from had the price back up to $899.00 the next day. I think they goofed and posted the 3.5" kit @ the 2" readylift leveling kit price by mistake. :) My goal is to be able to run 35s eventually I just can;t come to it to lift the truck and lose the smooth stock ride...

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I experience the rub as well at full lock in reverse but not if i take it slow. My truck is also at stock height. I for one feel that the front end rake is too low IMO and at the least plan on leveling the front end. I purchased the 3.5" sst Readylift kit about 4 months and still haven't installed it yet. I found it one evening by luck for $628.00 listed by a site and thought if i don't buy it now then i might miss the deal... (the price seemed too good to be true). Sure enough the website i purchased it from had the price back up to $899.00 the next day. I think they goofed and posted the 3.5" kit @ the 2" readylift leveling kit price by mistake. :) My goal is to be able to run 35s eventually I just can;t come to it to lift the truck and lose the smooth stock ride...
Post some pics if you install it.

jackoamerica

Reaction score
Hey 1997. You sound like me, in that I like, RWL tires. Was googling about the 275/65R20 fitting on my 2017 Big Horn, with factory Goodyear Black walled, 275/60R20's and your post on this next Gen forum came up, so I joined (with a 2017..lol) to read responses. I was going with Cooper AT3 4S's, (I had 18" AT3 10 plys on my Wrangler when I drove through Labrador a few years ago) but since my Jeep, they have 3 "models" of them, and to get 10 ply, have to go with the XLT's, but they only have RWL in the 275/65R20's. Getting 4 new tires Jan 9th, letting my tire shop know which AT3 on the 6th..lol. Your post and the responses convinced me to go with the XLT's...(Had great luck with the Discoverer's on my Jeep. )

Users who are viewing this thread