5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feel trans engage and disengage

SzaboTx

Reaction score
Sorry, this tough to explain (and hard to search for), but I have brought my truck in 3x now and nobody seems to feel or be able to fix this issue. I'd say 60% of the time when I come to a stop AND/OR when I start accelerating from a dead stop, I can feel a click almost like the gears are engaging. Sometime it hesitates when I am accelerating from a dead stop too. They have re-tuned it and replaced some sort of valve cover that was creating a surge when putting truck into DRIVE from a cold start...but these didn't resolve this issue (fixed a couple other issues though). I purchased the truck used and only have a few months left on the manufacturer's warranty, so I am trying to get this resolved ASAP, as I am sure the dealerships will try to tell me it is not covered after my 3/36 runs out. Any ideas? TIA

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Mine clicks when I put it into gear sometimes or almost all the time when I slow down to take a turn and then get back on the gas it clicks like 3rd gear is engaging or something around the diff. I think it may be the Ujoint but it’s weird how it only really does it when I slow down and give it gas again in 3rd gear

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it a click, or a clunk?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe this?

popcenator

Reaction score
A few of us have greased the slip yoke in the rear driveshaft with good results. I've done it multiple times now, I need to give it one more greasing but it makes a big difference right away.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
A few of us have greased the slip yoke in the rear driveshaft with good results. I've done it multiple times now, I need to give it one more greasing but it makes a big difference right away.

Do you think that would make a difference for what I’m experiencing also?

popcenator

Reaction score
Do you think that would make a difference for what I’m experiencing also?
It's worth a try. Though there is some weirdness, for lack of a better word, around 4th gear that I get as well where it's almost clunky. I think that's just a trait of the 8HP75.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
It's worth a try. Though there is some weirdness, for lack of a better word, around 4th gear that I get as well where it's almost clunky. I think that's just a trait of the 8HP75.

Hmmm ok. I don’t really think I noticed my truck do this til I lifted the front end to clear the 37s so part of me thinks that maybe my ujoint is at too much of angle since the front is lifted 6.5 and the rear only 1.5” but it’s weird that I really only notice it when I slow down to any speed in 3rd gear and it clicks when I press the gas again. The other day driving thru the mountains it was happening a lot but it’s very quiet and you don’t really “feel” it much at all you just hear a quiet click and I probably only feel it because I know my truck.

popcenator

Reaction score
Hmmm ok. I don’t really think I noticed my truck do this til I lifted the front end to clear the 37s so part of me thinks that maybe my ujoint is at too much of angle since the front is lifted 6.5 and the rear only 1.5” but it’s weird that I really only notice it when I slow down to any speed in 3rd gear and it clicks when I press the gas again. The other day driving thru the mountains it was happening a lot but it’s very quiet and you don’t really “feel” it much at all you just hear a quiet click and I probably only feel it because I know my truck.
That could very well be the case.

SzaboTx

Reaction score
Is it a click, or a clunk?
This is why it is hard to explain...I feel it more than anything.
I will check out that link...but they did re-tune it the 2nd time I brought it in...i assume a current re-tune would cover all the previous updates/tunes, right (I really have no idea how those work)?

SzaboTx

Reaction score

hmmm...I am some what mechanically inclined but unfortunately not THAT much...I will have to talk to my car buddies to see if they know about that. Thanks!

SzaboTx

Reaction score

the "click" on mine is normally when coming to a complete stop or when I start accelerating though occasionally I feel a sputter in higher gears.

popcenator

Reaction score
hmmm...I am some what mechanically inclined but unfortunately not THAT much...I will have to talk to my car buddies to see if they know about that. Thanks!
It's really not difficult at all. If you're somewhat capable of working on your truck, you can do it. It's literally just taking out the four bolts on the rear flange and sliding the driveshaft out, putting grease in the yoke and replacing everything.

Users who are viewing this thread