5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farewell 5.7

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Let's just say that I don't drive like I did back in the "Good Old Days". My 69 Z28 would average about 8-9 and 67 Hemi GTX automatic much less than that; you were filling up around the 100 mile mark....wish I still had both of those though.
I had a 68 RR with a 383 4 speed. One night cruising Gratiot Ave., I filled up, before heading out, then filled up, at the end of the night. 2.6 mpg, on Sunoco 260. Of course I was single, and regular was about $.39, and the 260, was $.59.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I had a 68 RR with a 383 4 speed. One night cruising Gratiot Ave., I filled up, before heading out, then filled up, at the end of the night. 2.6 mpg, on Sunoco 260. Of course I was single, and regular was about $.39, and the 260, was $.59.
I used to try and hit Lions Dragstrip a couple of days each month. It was about a 20 mile drive for me. My usual routine was fill up on Chevron Custom Supreme (no Sunocos in So Cal), and fill up at another Chevron just before entering the strip. Depending how busy it was, you could get in 5-8 runs in. My fuel gauge would be less than 1/2 when I left. Stopped the same station before going back home.

Many Saturday nights, I hung with the LA Street Racers and depending where we went to run, I could go thru a couple of tanks. Custom Supreme was a whopping $39.9. It was supposed to be 100 octane but I never saw anything that verified that. When unleaded showed up, Custom Supreme was dropped. Neither of my cars would run worth a crap on anything else. When I sold them some years later, I went to a local airport and filled them up on 116+ octane leaded aviation fuel (you could do that then); it was dyed purple as I remember and was close to $1.00 gallon. Cars ran great with that stuff in them.

Dewey

Reaction score
I used to try and hit Lions Dragstrip a couple of days each month. It was about a 20 mile drive for me. My usual routine was fill up on Chevron Custom Supreme (no Sunocos in So Cal), and fill up at another Chevron just before entering the strip. Depending how busy it was, you could get in 5-8 runs in. My fuel gauge would be less than 1/2 when I left. Stopped the same station before going back home.

Many Saturday nights, I hung with the LA Street Racers and depending where we went to run, I could go thru a couple of tanks. Custom Supreme was a whopping $39.9. It was supposed to be 100 octane but I never saw anything that verified that. When unleaded showed up, Custom Supreme was dropped. Neither of my cars would run worth a crap on anything else. When I sold them some years later, I went to a local airport and filled them up on 116+ octane leaded aviation fuel (you could do that then); it was dyed purple as I remember and was close to $1.00 gallon. Cars ran great with that stuff in them.
Still can buy aviation fuel at some airports. Friend of mine buys it for his monster truck he sometimes drives on the street. Gets like 4 MPG.

Joemama88

Reaction score
After 2.5 years, I've gone back to GM.

The 5.7 e torque had the worst MPGs I've seen from a modern V8 truck, and far less power and fuel economy than the 6.2 GM motor.

While I'll miss the sweet interior and other features of the limited, everything under the hood is forgettable.
You might want to rethink that those 6.2s are blowing up left and right. Have a buddy with a AT4x 12,000 miles engine already blew. Now has a new engine and its not running right etc.

Joemama88

Reaction score
Don't waste your time arguing with this troll - he has an agenda and doesn't care for facts of any kind.
My RAM has a 3.92 diff and I regularly get 20-23 on the highway without a load or trailer, contrary to what the troll says.
I have the 3.21 just got it Friday. I'm only sitting at 15.4 MPG will it get better as it breaks in? 200 miles on the OD

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 6.2 requires premium which is like $1 more per gallon where I am. I have been fine with the MPG on the Ram, in the summer I average about 17.5 mixed driving, 21-22mpg all highway. In the winter it drops to around 16 mpg in mixed driving.

ameyer81

Reaction score
You might want to rethink that those 6.2s are blowing up left and right. Have a buddy with a AT4x 12,000 miles engine already blew. Now has a new engine and its not running right etc.
Every OEM has bad engines.
I have the 3.21 just got it Friday. I'm only sitting at 15.4 MPG will it get better as it breaks in? 200 miles on the OD
Godspeed. I wished the same thing but after 10, 20, 30k mi, nope.
The 6.2 requires premium which is like $1 more per gallon where I am. I have been fine with the MPG on the Ram, in the summer I average about 17.5 mixed driving, 21-22mpg all highway. In the winter it drops to around 16 mpg in mixed driving.
6.2 technically says premium recommended, so you wouldn't have to run it. But higher performance often comes at a higher cost. Same story with a TRX, etc.

ameyer81

Reaction score
Mines a lease not my problem if it breaks.
There is something to be said for not owning a depreciating asset. Renting/leasing a vehicle is beneficial in many ways if you never want unanticipated expenses and like to have newer cars/trucks.

Joemama88

Reaction score
There is something to be said for not owning a depreciating asset. Renting/leasing a vehicle is beneficial in many ways if you never want unanticipated expenses and like to have newer cars/trucks.
Yeah kind of how I feel about it. New cars are so expensive to fix. They don’t make them like they use to. On my 4th car in 5 1/2 years. The Grand Cherokee I was in was a lemon so I don’t know if that’s counts.

ameyer81

Reaction score
Yeah kind of how I feel about it. New cars are so expensive to fix. They don’t make them like they use to. On my 4th car in 5 1/2 years. The Grand Cherokee I was in was a lemon so I don’t know if that’s counts.
Beauty of a lease is you know what your cost of ownership is for the next 24-36mo every time you sign the papers. No curveballs other than maybe a deductible.

E.Hands

Reaction score
I had my last truck (2005 MY) for 15 years. Customized it to my liking. Enjoyed ownership. Sold it. Got good money for it.
Bought this 2020, paid it off in three years. Customized it to my liking. Really enjoying ownership. After they are paid off is when they are the most enjoyable to me.
But I do a lot of DIY.
Leased a Lexus for my wife. She likes it but when it's all said and done we will have spent more on her Lexus than we did on my Longhorn.
The Lexus doesn't have the extra features that my truck does (Nav, surround cameras, elbow room) and my truck rides better on road trips.

But to each his own.
You know what they say the future is: "You will own nothing, and you will be happy"

irishwake63

Reaction score
Don't waste your time arguing with this troll - he has an agenda and doesn't care for facts of any kind.
My RAM has a 3.92 diff and I regularly get 20-23 on the highway without a load or trailer, contrary to what the troll says.
I get avg of 23 all HWY when not towing all of the time and I love my truck engine but its all the other crap thats wrong with RAM windows leaking, uconnect failing, and RAM not standing behind it that I hate. Towing MPG sucks bilge water I get about 8 but regulary got 11-12 in my previous RAM and F150 with 2.7 TT I am looking for a pre covid F250 with low miles and getting rid of the issues with RAM

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a lease, but I easily do 22k miles a year, which would cost more if I got a lease.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no ill will for Ram. Mine was a nice truck but I agree with the OP. The 5.7L was a gutless wonder. I swapped it for a Powerboost F150... A disaster. And then went to GMC it's everything my Ram Limited was plus.... 6.2l, Google based infotainment (no map updates to worry about) and Supercruise. I easily get 22 mpg + on the interstates. The 2025 Ram caught my attention until I did a build and price. More than my Denali Ultimate. I'm hoping the Hurricane will be good.

Joemama88

Reaction score
I have never leased and I have seen 42 month leases. What happens in a 42 month lease with a 36 month warranty?
You’d be on the hook. I will get rid of it before that 36months. It’s only 6 months. And if you release with Chrysler capital you get 3k cash on a new vehicle. I normally do 36 month leases though.

Jako

Reaction score
You’d be on the hook. I will get rid of it before that 36months. It’s only 6 months. And if you release with Chrysler capital you get 3k cash on a new vehicle. I normally do 36 month leases though.
When I was checking leases (5+ years ago) it seemed they were advertising 42 months and I felt that was a problem (36-42 months).

Users who are viewing this thread