5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falken Tires

Tiger79

Reaction score
Replaced my Factory tires after 35k miles right before winter with some Falken WildPeak A/T3W - 275/55R20XL 117T tires. These seem to be widely recommended here on the forums and they have worked very well in the snow/wet weather we have had since I got them. They do have more road noise than the factory ones, but they are all terrain tires vs what factory ones likely were. They also have dropped my MPG by like 5mpg consistently. Wanted to see if anyone else on here has seen a similar impact? I understand these tires have many perks and I love them in bad conditions, just was expecting like a 2-3mpg drop, not 5! At 70mph i was consistently seeing 22MPG and tank estimates of 650+ on my 33Gal tank (reserve of 3 gallons, so 30 honestly). With the new tires I see 17MPG at 70mph and tank estimates of 510-530ish.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L V8
33 Gallon Tank
3.1 Gear Ratio
20" Tires

Let me know if this is inline with other owners of the Falken WIldpeak A/T3W. Figured if nothing else it serves as a good heads up to others. They are great tires but do take a ding on MPG.

TxAg98

Reaction score
I have a '21 Laramie, nonetorque, 4x4, 3.92 that came stock with those tires/size and Im averaging 14.5. You should feel lucky with your 17.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Ouch. I just ordered a set of WildPeak A/T3W 275/60R20s to go with new 20" Fuel Beasts. Gonna pick them up this week. I'd be lucky to get 13MPG because I live up a big hill so I always take a hit to the MPG driving home. I'll let you know what mine drops to but if it dips below 10, I'm gonna leave these new wheels off until I go on road/ski trips!

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
If you do a 1to1 comparison with stock in the same size the Wildpeaks are noticeably heavier which I would assume is the biggest reason. I have LT275/70r18 AT3W's as opposed to my stock 285/45r22's so while I can't give a direct comparison with MPG, I haven't noticed that big of a difference. I mounted the new wheels and took it on a 600 mile round trip. I don't know the avg MPG off the top of my head but I didn't even think about it because I hardly noticed.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I switched from the stock Bridgestones to AT3Ws and noticed a 3.5mpg drop. My average since switching is 14.3mpg but it's almost entirely city driving and we've got a lot of hills and curves.

fire_mike

Reaction score
I switched from the stock Bridgestones to AT3Ws and noticed a 3.5mpg drop. My average since switching is 14.3mpg but it's almost entirely city driving and we've got a lot of hills and curves.

Are your Falken's stock size?

davidn0021

Reaction score
Just installed! Fuel Beast 20x9, +1mm offset on Falken WildPeak A/T3W 275/60/R20. I think next set I get will be 275/65's to get larger sidewall. I feel like it'll fit without any rub but right now, these fit perfect and there is no rubbing at all.

Attachments

• IMG_4060.jpg
    IMG_4060.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4062.jpg
    IMG_4062.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4061.jpg
    IMG_4061.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 190

fishinfreak68

Reaction score
I have a '21 Laramie, nonetorque, 4x4, 3.92 that came stock with those tires/size and Im averaging 14.5. You should feel lucky with your 17.
Same here with the etorque on my Bighorn. Maybe slightly more but not much.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Falken A/T3W has VERY thick sidewalls and is a very robust tire. They're heavy and consume more fuel, but the tradeoff is you'll rarely ever risk a flat tire.

The Falken A/T3WA is a version tweaked for OE use under contract and the two things they did were to tighten up the tread pattern a little and shave off a lot of weight. This saves fuel. But, it also produces a flimsy tire that's more prone to requiring frequent air pressure adjustments and possible flats.

It just depends on which is more important to you, but I prefer a more robust tire. I have always seen a 1-2 MPG decrease with aftermarket tires over OE tires, so 5 seems excessive and I think there are other factors at play that you haven't accounted for here.

fire_mike

Reaction score
Just installed! Fuel Beast 20x9, +1mm offset on Falken WildPeak A/T3W 275/60/R20. I think next set I get will be 275/65's to get larger sidewall. I feel like it'll fit without any rub but right now, these fit perfect and there is no rubbing at all.
Those wheels and tires look good. How much of hit hit in mpg have you noticed (if any yet), and how do they feel driving cmpared to the stock tires?

davidn0021

Reaction score
Those wheels and tires look good. How much of hit hit in mpg have you noticed (if any yet), and how do they feel driving cmpared to the stock tires?
I haven't driven it enough yet (or at all!) to give any idea one way or another.. Right now, they feel the same as the stock 22" I had but I'm fairly certain I'll take a major hit as I live on a big *** hill.

Users who are viewing this thread