5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Trailer Brake Controller Setting..

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
I've got a Kodiak that runs about 5800 lbs. When I set the controller for +10 gain and use only the controller, I get braking from the trailer but not much. Today I noticed that it says "light electric", is there a medium or heavy electric?

Clayinfla

Reaction score
There is light and heavy setting for electric trailer brakes. Over 10k pounds is heavy. Sounds like something may be wrong with your controller or trailer brakes. My trailer is a little less than yours-5400- but 8.0volts locks up the wheels. I run 7 volts normally.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I've got a Kodiak that runs about 5800 lbs. When I set the controller for +10 gain and use only the controller, I get braking from the trailer but not much. Today I noticed that it says "light electric", is there a medium or heavy electric?
Does your TT have self adjusting brakes? If not, do they need adjustment? You didn't mention if your TT is new or has a few seasons on it.

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
it's a 2014 that never went anywhere so, it's still basically new. Brake inspection is on the punchlist. Dealer put new tires on it and said they inspected the brakes but..... you know how used car (or RV) dealers are...

w5eLua0.jpg

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
New body rams seems to take more gain than the previous gen

This is the first truck I've had with a factory controller, I had to add them to my past rigs. The brakes are working well enough but the add-ons I did were capable of locking the brakes up - this one doesn't. I keep the trailer at my second home and since I'm only there occasionally lately this is going to take awhile to sort out. One thing I thought was interesting is when I use the heavy-trailer setting I cant feel any difference.
I tried consulting with known towing experts but of course, they wanting me to "bring it in" ... not easy, especially when it's 150 miles away :)
Next known trip will be a 500 mile ride in December, I may set out a few days early and plan a stop at an RV center that can give it a look and make any repairs needed. Might be asking too much for that time of year though..

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had noticed the same thing with a 2014 TT I brought home last weekend, brakes felt really weak when I left the dealer...then when I got 10 miles from home the trailer brakes completely stopped working.
I've already adjusted the brakes up, tonight I'm going to re-wire the trailer with 10 gauge marine wire and check the magnets while I'm going. Hoping to stave off the trailer brake issues for quite some time now.
Will be important as I plan to drag this thing 2,000+ miles once a year plus other weekend trips I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread