5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended Back Storage Question-Pull Ring

Tabascocat

Reaction score
Under the backseat, there is a pulley attached to a tension wire that comes out a bit. I know it is for the storage flap that folds out and goes through the little slit. Here is where I am stumped, along with many Ram dealership employees..........

The storage has two position:
1. Pushed UP
2. Pulled DOWN

This wire doesn’t come out far but I don’t think it is needed when extended storage(lowered down) is in use, i.e. pulled out. But, when I try to bring it up, it hits the front of the seat brackets and will not go any further, it also will not go over the top of them. This will not allow for the pulley wire to go through the slit then turned sideways to hold it.

I have had several mechanics and service employees look at it and no one can figure out how it is used properly. There is an upper hole to the back on each side mount plate that appears to be the same as the lower front holes that it is connected to. We tried to move each side to those other holes but could not get it disconnected without risking breaking it.

Why is this pull handle thing even there if it does nothing? To reiterate.....there is a long L-shaped rail thing from one end of the cab to the other under the backseats. It swings up or down and when swung down, it gives extra storage space but it only swings up so far, hits the seat rails as it doesn’t sit flush....it is at an angle with not enough room for the pull handle to go through.

We looked at more 20’ and 21’ models on the lot today since I was awaiting an oil change. Every truck had the same proble, no one knew how to use it properly. Any help would be much appreciated on how to use this feature.

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The “L” shaped piece folds so that when in the down position, it sits on the floor like an L. To move it to the up position and utilize the little d-ring, you fold the vertical part of the “L” flat and then the whole assembly folds up and back to where you can pull the ring through the slots and rotate it to secure it in the up position. It’s not so much up or down as it is just more or less space to store things. It doesn’t actually swing up totally out of the way, it’s always acting as a divider against the floor.

I can get a couple of photos in the morning to make it easier to visualize if you need them.

Tabascocat

Reaction score
The “L” shaped piece folds so that when in the down position, it sits on the floor like an L. To move it to the up position and utilize the little d-ring, you fold the vertical part of the “L” flat and then the whole assembly folds up and back to where you can pull the ring through the slots and rotate it to secure it in the up position. It’s not so much up or down as it is just more or less space to store things. It doesn’t actually swing up totally out of the way, it’s always acting as a divider against the floor.

I can get a couple of photos in the morning to make it easier to visualize if you need them.

THANK YOU! That was driving me crazy, we never thought the actual L would fold together. They really need to put that in the owners manual because people who work for RAM had no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread