5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected Amperage Draw

sfidelisrp

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I just had my '19 1500 New Style serviced at an independent for a battery draw, north of 3amp so pretty bad. I couldn't for the life of me find it, which makes sense cause it turned out to be the fuse box itself. Just got the call back about it and he tells me that they still technically have a draw of about 100mA that some is coming from the RF Hub. That said, I'm not really sure how long they allowed it to sleep. I suspect not very long given they just received the part late this morning and only about an hour ago gave me that info. Not a lot of time to let it fully sleep.

Anyway, he says they should probably change it out and do all the reprograming etc. new keys, blah blah. About $1400 for that. I told em, nah, hold off on that, I need the truck back and I feel like I can definitely make due with only 100mA at least for now.

My question is, shouldn't there be a draw coming from the RF Hub, a small one? So that the keys can do their job? Does 100mA sound normal for this truck? Especially given they didn't wait very long for it to sleep. I'm gonna do my own draw test when its home and let it sit over night as well as see how much it does drain in that time frame.

BTW its the 5.7 with e-torque, 4x4, 8in radio, and few other options.

Thanks all.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I just had my '19 1500 New Style serviced at an independent for a battery draw, north of 3amp so pretty bad. I couldn't for the life of me find it, which makes sense cause it turned out to be the fuse box itself. Just got the call back about it and he tells me that they still technically have a draw of about 100mA that some is coming from the RF Hub. That said, I'm not really sure how long they allowed it to sleep. I suspect not very long given they just received the part late this morning and only about an hour ago gave me that info. Not a lot of time to let it fully sleep.

Anyway, he says they should probably change it out and do all the reprograming etc. new keys, blah blah. About $1400 for that. I told em, nah, hold off on that, I need the truck back and I feel like I can definitely make due with only 100mA at least for now.

My question is, shouldn't there be a draw coming from the RF Hub, a small one? So that the keys can do their job? Does 100mA sound normal for this truck? Especially given they didn't wait very long for it to sleep. I'm gonna do my own draw test when its home and let it sit over night as well as see how much it does drain in that time frame.

Thanks all.
It takes about 90 minutes for all systems to go to "sleep". After that they claim 30mA is the number above is too much and below is good.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks all.
Yes, the 30 mA is spec. Your battery, if it is any good, can handle 100 mA draw easily for an extended period of time.
edit: you had a 3 amp quiescent draw?
Check, spit shine and make sure this connection is spotless. IMGP0984 ground 1600.jpg

Last edited:

sfidelisrp

Reaction score
So somehow its worse after they did the work. Dropped from 12.62 to 11.56 in just about 12 hours. I'd say that NOT a 100mA draw. The cluster screen still stays lit up the whole time. Thinking that since the cluster and and the RF Hub are on the same fuse, or same circuit, that it really may be an issue with the hub. Another point of data. I did have the leaky 3rd brake light about 2 years ago. Warranty fixed then and no issues since, so not sure if that was just such a small water damage in the hub that it took awhile to manifest.

Yes, the 30 mA is spec. Your battery, if it is any good, can handle 100 mA draw easily for an extended period of time.
edit: you had a 3 amp quiescent draw?
Check, spit shine and make sure this connection is spotless.
I assume you're talking about the ground point there, pic is blurry for me. It looked OK, but I took it off and gave it a good cleaning, but no sauce, still the same issue.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So somehow its worse after they did the work. Dropped from 12.62 to 11.56 in just about 12 hours. I'd say that NOT a 100mA draw. The cluster screen still stays lit up the whole time. Thinking that since the cluster and and the RF Hub are on the same fuse, or same circuit, that it really may be an issue with the hub. Another point of data. I did have the leaky 3rd brake light about 2 years ago. Warranty fixed then and no issues since, so not sure if that was just such a small water damage in the hub that it took awhile to manifest.

I assume you're talking about the ground point there, pic is blurry for me. It looked OK, but I took it off and gave it a good cleaning, but no sauce, still the same issue.
Yes, the ground connection.
Could be the hub keeping the systems from shutting down.
3 amps is a lot, my truck was drawing from 3.4 to up to 5.6 amps and more when it was acting up.

Users who are viewing this thread