5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Manifold Leak

SShadow1974

Reaction score
I think you're going to have the possibility of issues with ANYthing you buy. It's probably the #1 reason why I stayed with a RAM. (#2 being getting an extended powertrain warranty to alleviate my fear) At least with RAM and the HEMI engine, I KNOW what to look for when issues arise and mostly understand what a problem is when I experience symptoms. Going to a completely new platform would put me in the dark. I originally was looking at a GMC Sierra with the 3.0L Duramax. Talk about going completely in the dark! (I've never owned a GMC and never owned a diesel.)
But after the dealer gave me a great deal on my about to blow an engine trade in and got my payments down to what I was willing to pay, I walked away with a new RAM. And I feel OK about it (as much as having truck payments again feels OK).

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it’s been mentioned here before that the manifolds are lightened as much as theoretically possible, and real life and time will crack them. They could make perfectly fine manifolds that weigh 3 lbs more each, and suffer mpg and payload, but bean counters won’t allow that.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have developed a tic’ing sound and wonder if this is my issue. Is there a tsb some one can provide so I can show my service dept. I would like to have as much “ammo” as I can to debate whether or not something is covered.

SShadow1974

Reaction score
i have developed a tic’ing sound and wonder if this is my issue. Is there a tsb some one can provide so I can show my service dept. I would like to have as much “ammo” as I can to debate whether or not something is covered.
I don't know about TSB... But it's a common enough problem that they'd be hard pressed to argue it.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No TSB or recall on this issue yet. If it's the manifold you will only really hear it on cold starts. Once the manifold warms up the tick goes away for the most part.
Service department should be able to diagnose this issue pretty quick if they are any bit competent 🙄.
If you are still within the powertrain warranty (5 yr / 60k) then it will be covered at no cost to you.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dropping the truck off this evening to have the driver's side manifold repaired. I had to inquire about an ETA on the parts. They failed to notify me that they'd been in for a week 😒. I guess the passenger side replacement is still holding up well. Maybe a full replacement set will be enough for my truck but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What SShadow1974 said.
Big reason I returned to RAM (from my wife having a 22’ Beemer X5).

Repair costs and peace of mind just weren’t there with that rig.

Gorgeous and well put together, 27-30 mpg’s highway at 70-75, very well thought out interior but the coming service and repair costs (as well as them wanting 7K for an extended warranty) kept me from sleeping at night.
An oil change “service” at the dealer was $180…

Taken from caredge.com: “A BMW X5 will cost about $18,389 for maintenance and repairs during its first 10 years of service.
This is more than the industry average for luxury SUV models by $2,675. There is also a 54.61% chance that a X5 will require a major repair during that time. This is 15.05% worse than similar vehicles in this segment.” (End of quote)

Below you’ll see just how they like to replace plugs and brake pads…

BMW X5 Maintenance Schedule​

MileageRecommended Maintenance
Cabin Replace Air Filter, Change Oil and Filter​
Brake Pads Replacement​
Replace Air Filter, Service Battery/cables, Lubricate Trunk, Spark Plugs Replacement, Transfer Case Fluid Replacement, Cabin Replace Air Filter, Change Oil and Filter​
Brake Pads Replacement, Cabin Replace Air Filter​
Cabin Replace Air Filter, Change Oil and Filter, Transmission Fluid Service​
Brake Pads Replacement​
Replace Air Filter, Service Battery/cables, Lubricate Trunk, Spark Plugs Replacement, Transfer Case Fluid Replacement, Cabin Replace Air Filter, Change Oil and Filter​
YMMV of course. I’m sure there’s peeps who say BMW is the best vehicle ever.
I will just stay with the RAM, even if it doesn't fit in the garage. 😬

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for help, in the video you can hear the tic-tic-tic…… is this from the common manifold/bolt leak ?(I hear it a lot louder in passenger side)

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked the truck up yesterday. Nice to have it not sound like crap on start up. Took an extra day because I left my wheel lock key in my locked center console safe. Other wise pretty painless experience. No long wait time for me compared to others. Hopefully I don't have to revisit this thread for some time. Although if I do I'll have to weigh the pros and cons of OEM vs aftermarket.

Last edited:

xjarcher

Reaction score
I just did the driver's side. Passenger in September. Not the worst job I've done. But well worth it not to sound like crap. The Mrs. Is much happier with her truck too and that's a win for both of us.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are u replacing it due to the bolts snapping off or a crack in the manifold itself?
I haven't looked yet. Thats why I ordered the whole kit. I figured for $65 bucks, why not. I added remflex gaskets for $45 for both.

Now I'm prepared for everything. Probably do it next week. My brother is a welder so I'm waiting on him just in case too.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't looked yet. Thats why I ordered the whole kit. I figured for $65 bucks, why not. I added remflex gaskets for $45 for both.

Now I'm prepared for everything. Probably do it next week. My brother is a welder so I'm waiting on him just in case too.
Ah I see well the welder will definitely help if worse case scenario

Haully11

Reaction score
I have a 2019 that the warranty expired Sept/Oct last year due to time. Truck has 52k. Just started having manifold issues earlier this week. Anybody have any success getting ram to cover as a hardship/good faith fix since it is just outside of warranty?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 that the warranty expired Sept/Oct last year due to time. Truck has 52k. Just started having manifold issues earlier this week. Anybody have any success getting ram to cover as a hardship/good faith fix since it is just outside of warranty?
You can try, but don't hold your breath. It's a common issue, so they may, but more likely, they will say warranty expired. They really aren't that expensive, if they say no, and you are mechanical. A few people replaced them themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread