5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust Leak

Einstein376

Reaction score
My 2019 was in the dealership for an exhaust leak that was found mid pipe, passenger side. Both bolts were broken off and required having them drilled out of the flange. They replaced the gasket and installed new bolts.

My reason for sharing is they shared they have been seeing this same leak in many of the RAM trucks. So, it may be worth taking a look.

Jim

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
My 2019 was in the dealership for an exhaust leak that was found mid pipe, passenger side. Both bolts were broken off and required having them drilled out of the flange. They replaced the gasket and installed new bolts.

My reason for sharing is they shared they have been seeing this same leak in many of the RAM trucks. So, it may be worth taking a look.

Jim
not sure what years this has been happening but have not heard of any MY22 having it happen yet

here are the threads that mention exhaust leak

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I've been reading a bunch about the flange bolts breaking on different forums and groups. People have posted pictures with the bolts sticking through and the heads missing. It appears that there's enough of the bolt sticking through to be able to grab with a pair of vise grips and turn it out the rest of the way after it's heated with a torch. I have no first hand experience with it yet so it's just my observation

Doc33

Reaction score
My 2019 had same problem, lost one of the bolts to rust and it broke causing a small leak. I drilled out what was left and put in a new bolt. Next time I go in for service I will request to have both replaced.

fonek

Reaction score
Same issue here on my 2019 @ 30k miles. Friend also had the same thing happen on his 2020. Bolts breaking at the flange. Dealer said this is common on the 5.7s and not covered under warranty.

tdager

Reaction score
Just had this happen to me, on long trip hundreds of miles from the house. Thread part was solidly stuck, so wrapped the gap with header wrap and drove home.

$300+ dollars later it is fixed. While my 2019 is out of warranty at this point, this is ridiculous. No way this many trucks should have a problem like this in just a few years. Especially when EACH bolt is $18! I am going to call Ram and see if they will cover the repair, a long shot I know.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Just had this happen to me, on long trip hundreds of miles from the house. Thread part was solidly stuck, so wrapped the gap with header wrap and drove home.

$300+ dollars later it is fixed. While my 2019 is out of warranty at this point, this is ridiculous. No way this many trucks should have a problem like this in just a few years. Especially when EACH bolt is $18! I am going to call Ram and see if they will cover the repair, a long shot I know.

Yup. Member of this club as well. Mine was covered under the 3/36k. The bolts being $18 is a little steep but the problem is: They basically have to drop the whole exhaust system at the point, back, from where the bolt broke. Apparently, they are studs that can't be drilled or pulled out without getting the system down. Definitely not a fun job. I agree, disappointing this happens.

Doc33

Reaction score
Well I was able to drill mine out and replace with new bolt, not necessary to drop exhaust.

Users who are viewing this thread