5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excessive rust for 4 years and 100k miles?

Sirmaestro

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been looking to move from my 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel to a 5th gen 1500. Thanks for all the information posted here about the 1500s - super helpful!

Patiently waiting for a preowned with a few specific features, I found a 2020 Sport with 100k miles. Interior and exterior are in great condition, drives well - no apparent issues. Had a chance to see it briefly up on a hoist, no major issues but a bit of rust noticed on the rear diff. Under the hood, there's also rust in quite a few places where I wouldn't expect it, as high up as the alternator. See pics attached.

This is a northern car so it definitely sees winter and road salt. Still, not what I'd expect for 4 years even with higher mileage. Clean vehicle history report, and currently being sold by a Ram dealership as a trade in.

I have other high mileage vehicles including a 23 year old with 170k miles but being new to trucks, there's still a lot to learn. Ready to run away from this one unless it's not an uncommon issue with these trucks. Any input is appreciated.

1000004997.jpg 1000004998.jpg 1000004999.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't see any issue. I don't think your expectations are realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread