5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever get hung on your riding boards?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying the APS iboards for my Ram and was looking at the steel brackets hanging two inches below the things and start wondering...

Have and of you off roaders ever get stuck from you running boards, or have them bottom out or get damaged? Or fold up and damage the truck?

Is there a style of running board to absolutely not get?

I'll be doing just light off roading, dirt trails, some beach stuff.

I'm not too keen on the old school bars, but if you get more clearance than maybe.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Not stuck, but i snapped the right side running board off on my Sierra AT4. Came up a steep slop and the crest clearance wasnt forgiving. Which is weird because i been up it plenty of times. Ripped the inserts out of the boards and bent 2 of the brackets. Was able to straighten the brackets and put new inserts in the boards

Attachments

• 703E533B-3DA7-49A9-8339-C6336339AA39.jpeg
    703E533B-3DA7-49A9-8339-C6336339AA39.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
Not stuck, but i snapped the right side running board off on my Sierra AT4. Came up a steep slop and the crest clearance wasnt forgiving. Which is weird because i been up it plenty of times. Ripped the inserts out of the boards and bent 2 of the brackets. Was able to straighten the brackets and put new inserts in the boards

Thanks. Yea I figured.

I know there are some pretty good rock sliders, but I need the civilian style boards that drop down so my wife can climb in.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
My sliders give you about a 4" lower stepping area. Measured from the truck door jam to the top of the slider bar. They have saved my truck from damage on multiple occasions already. Which reminds me; I need to re-paint the underside of them.

JustMe

Reaction score
Poor mans solution ? As seen at the Gladiator site . . . some are "pleasing" their better halves (ha ha) by taking a trip to Lowes or Ace or H. Depot and picking up that Folding single step . Some say that it's converted them to being "gentlemen" when WITH the wife, they place the step for the wife to get into the passenger seat . . . fold it up and slip it behind on the floor . A tad bit more 'work" for the wife when she is alone and driving . . . not "lady-like" (picturing her bending down to retrieve the step once inside . . . :rolleyes: ;) :unsure: . Voyeurs could get an eyeful during the Summer Months . . .:love: :cool: :p ?

Reaction score
My sliders give you about a 4" lower stepping area. Measured from the truck door jam to the top of the slider bar. They have saved my truck from damage on multiple occasions already. Which reminds me; I need to re-paint the underside of them.
Great news. Which slider bar do you have?

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Great news. Which slider bar do you have?

White Knuckle Off Road. They start at $900 and only work with the 26 gallon tank. They add 200+ pounds to the truck.

R

Rob5589

I have the Westin 4 Traxx and pushed them back about 6" crossing a steep walled creek. Nothing a vise and bfh couldn't fix :D

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
N-Fab is selling rock sliders now for the 5th Gen... or so they claim. The picture they use is of a Tundra and the mounting instructions are for the 4th Gen... so there's reason to be skeptical.
1582898344252.png

Users who are viewing this thread