5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque explained

diamondmi

Reaction score
I found this article explained eTorque in a way I haven’t read before. Hope you find it as interesting as I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. So far I’ve been given a VIN #.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Should be a nice truck. Wonder what changes if any, were made?

Since you didn't get the nearly $1K tailgate, I don't know just how different it is than a 19’.
You likely won’t have the 19’ “teething” problems.

diamondmi

Reaction score
Should be a nice truck. Wonder what changes if any, were made?

Since you didn't get the nearly $1K tailgate, I don't know just how different it is than a 19’.
You likely won’t have the 19’ “teething” problems.

After ordering the truck and looking at a few more videos about the multifunctional tailgate, I wished I had ordered it. I actually called the dealer to see if I could add it and was too late.

When you say “teething,” do you mean just the normal issues you have with a first model year of a new makeover?

Waiting for my newly ordered 2020 Laramie Longhorn, Delmonico Red, chrome bumpers, 20” wheels, 5.7 V8 Hemi MDS VVT eTorque, 3.92 rear, all options except diesel, multifunction tailgate, protection group and trailer tow group. Interior Black/New Saddle. Looking forward to delivery. So far I’ve been given a VIN #.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s multiple videos on YouTube’s where the engineers from FCA ride along in the truck and talk about all the things that go on with the system. The 1/4 wheel turn, the energy from the transmission, spinning the crankshaft up, etc

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Seriously, do you guys honestly think they put some kind of marker on the assembly line that designates where the 2019's end and the perfect 2020's begin? Are they going to tweak all the equipment and change all the processes just as that last 19 passes by? Someone yells out, that's it boys....the next one's we are going to get right!

Feel free to come back and correct me if any proof arises, but I don't foresee any improvement in quality just because the model year is changing.

Going to keep seeing the same poor paint, the same misaligned doors, the same inconsistent panel gaps, stitching, leather falling apart, A/C performance, missing parts, mismatched parts, recalls, leaks.....................

Do I hope quality improves - Yes! Anything they fix on the 2020's will help the dealers know what to do to fix it on our 19's, but I just don't see it happening this soon or simply due to the model year incrementing.

diamondmi

Reaction score
Seriously, do you guys honestly think they put some kind of marker on the assembly line that designates where the 2019's end and the perfect 2020's begin? Are they going to tweak all the equipment and change all the processes just as that last 19 passes by? Someone yells out, that's it boys....the next one's we are going to get right!

Feel free to come back and correct me if any proof arises, but I don't foresee any improvement in quality just because the model year is changing.

Going to keep seeing the same poor paint, the same misaligned doors, the same inconsistent panel gaps, stitching, leather falling apart, A/C performance, missing parts, mismatched parts, recalls, leaks.....................

Do I hope quality improves - Yes! Anything they fix on the 2020's will help the dealers know what to do to fix it on our 19's, but I just don't see it happening this soon or simply due to the model year incrementing.

I understand your point. Let’s hope you’re wrong.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Likewise, several "2020 features" made it into "2019 production". For example, back when we were discussing the missing centerline on trucks with surround-view cameras, we learned (from an FCA engineer) that the module was updated something like 5 times over the past year, and the centerline appeared with one of those revisions. Aside from major launches (e.g. the revised diesel engine), changes are basically made whenever the suppliers are ready and the assembly line can work them in.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

They generally build would out the 2019s and run the line empty. Then there's usually a few weeks summer break where the factory will do required maintenance and make any changes needed for the new model year.

I used for work at Brampton assembly building the Charger, Challenged, and 300 and this is how it was done

Charp

Reaction score
Can eTorque be considered a dual battery setup? Like the dual battery setup's people install on there Jeeps and Toyota's for over-landing? As I watched this video by FCA
he mentions (around 3min mark) how the 48V battery pack keeps the 12V battery charged. I have a portable 12V fridge that I would like to keep in the truck bed, so I'm wondering if I could run cable directly from my 12V battery to my bed for this. It seems that having the additional capacity of the 48V pack, along with the power generating/charging abilities would be a perfect setup for dual battery straight from the factory.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread