5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque basically required now?

jastevenson

Reaction score
Am getting ready to pull the trigger on my order. The online configuration is wonky, so just want to be sure:

I don’t want eTorque, but the online configurator basically makes it obligatory once I add any decent options. Is this a real issue, or is the configurator just buggy?

I could ask my salesperson, but they are often the last to know ;)

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t trust the online build and price. It can be inaccurate, and especially right now, there seems to be a lot of glitches.

Your best bet would be to sit down with your salesperson at the dealership while they configure your truck in their system. It’ll be the most accurate.

Wsmith

Reaction score
I havn't tried it, but others are commenting it seems a little wonky. Unless things changed in 2021, the standard 5.7 should be offered in most if not all configurations. Who knows maybe FCA has a warehouse full of e-torque packages that it needs to get rid of. :sneaky:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm dreading the day when all vehicles will have some sort of system like etorque (stop/start). I have it on my Laramie and wish I didn't. I was finding it impossible to find a Laramie with the rambox option, that didn't have the etorque. So I "settled". Now I'm living with a truck I love, but has three glaring flaws (etorque, 23 gallon fuel tank, no MFT). I won't make the same concession on my next truck if I have a choice.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
When I ordered mine, the manager at my dealer had to call in and have them remove the etorque. Apparently they lock options out depending on availability and other factors. It might be temporary. In my case, I was able to get it without with a little effort on my dealer's part. Having the dealer turn the knobs is really the only way to know what you can really get.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard where they lock out certain configurations for some time, and those same configurations become available later on. Probably a trick to simplify production to be able to get trucks out faster, who knows.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Calsun

Reaction score
Auto stop start and etorque are two different matters. With the V-6 you are forced to get the eTorque but with the 5.7L hemi you can get the engine without eTorque and avoid the cost for its repair after the 36 month warranty period ends. The V-8 adds $1795 but it would cost nearly that much to repair the eTorque as well as the cost for towing and staying at a motel while the truck was hopefully repaired. When the eTorque does fail it can do so without any warning at all and leave the truck inoperable until it is repaired or replaced.

At times the technology gets ahead of itself which I saw with the first auto emissions controls in the 1970's and the diesel emissions systems with DEF and is the case with the eTorque which is a pathetic piece of automotive engineering.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Auto stop start and etorque are two different matters. With the V-6 you are forced to get the eTorque but with the 5.7L hemi you can get the engine without eTorque and avoid the cost for its repair after the 36 month warranty period ends. The V-8 adds $1795 but it would cost nearly that much to repair the eTorque as well as the cost for towing and staying at a motel while the truck was hopefully repaired. When the eTorque does fail it can do so without any warning at all and leave the truck inoperable until it is repaired or replaced.

At times the technology gets ahead of itself which I saw with the first auto emissions controls in the 1970's and the diesel emissions systems with DEF and is the case with the eTorque which is a pathetic piece of automotive engineering.
You mean after the 8/80 emissions warranty ends. As this is the second thread where you’re bashing eTorque, will you add your truck details to your signature? I presume you have it and are commenting from personal experience.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Hemi is now $1495 standard and $1695 e-torque.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
d8f2ef5106b2df91be7555eff44b9719.jpg

Drewster

Reaction score
You mean after the 8/80 emissions warranty ends. As this is the second thread where you’re bashing eTorque, will you add your truck details to your signature? I presume you have it and are commenting from personal experience.
That's a bold presumption...
Start/ stop with eTorque is the best implementation I've ever experienced. Anyone who calls it "pathetic engineering" either hasn't driven another start/ stop vehicle, or they haven't driven an eTorque vehicle period... likely the latter.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a bold presumption...
Start/ stop with eTorque is the best implementation I've ever experienced. Anyone who calls it "pathetic engineering" either hasn't driven another start/ stop vehicle, or they haven't driven an eTorque vehicle period... likely the latter.
Hey - I’m giving him a chance ;)

Rossum

Reaction score
At times the technology gets ahead of itself which I saw with the first auto emissions controls in the 1970's and the diesel emissions systems with DEF and is the case with the eTorque
Manufacturers don't push this stuff on us because they want to. It's all driven by emissions and fuel economy regulations, which are in turn sanctioned by acts of Congress.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
While I haven't had my truck for that long I like the eTorque system. So far it has been working right with no problems. As for the Start/Stop feature I have a Lexus Hybrid and the eTorque is just as smooth if not smoother than the Lexus.

Drewster

Reaction score
Manufacturers don't push this stuff on us because they want to. It's all driven by emissions and fuel economy regulations, which are in turn sanctioned by acts of Congress.
When Ford was asked about their upcoming Hybrid and full electric F150, they pretty much said "yes, we're pushing to meet emissions targets, but we've also never heard a customer say 'I really wish my next truck was less efficient'"

Making vehicles cleaner, smoother, and more efficient than the competition is part of the game. I know when I bought my Hemi, I specifically waited for eTorque because my day-to-day commute is all stop and go, and during TFL's towing test it was more efficient than the F150 EB. On my exact same commute, the eTorque gets 5 more miles to the gallon than my old Hemi. Even with a short commute, that's almost $200 every year. With my old commute it would be about $600. If the new Ram had the same Hemi as my 04, or worse efficiency, I would have just gotten the F150.

In other words, yes they absolutely want their vehicles to be more efficient and last longer than the old models and longer than the competition, so yeah eTorque makes perfect sense even if the Government isn't pushing for it.

Diesel emissions? That's a whole other story since you're talking about air quality and protecting the environment.. but this thread is about eTorque.

Users who are viewing this thread