5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque 5.7 - how long on battery?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took delivery of my new 1500 with 5.7 w/eTorque on Wed. So, I've got roughly 200 miles on it now.

Overall, I like the eTorque, so far. I had an '09 with a 5.7 for 10 years and 193K miles before this new truck, so I'm pretty familiar with how the Hemi drives. I like the way the new truck drives. It's just little things where I can feel a difference and it feels like it's the eTorque that is the difference I'm feeling. I know I now have an 8-speed vs the 6-speed in my old truck, but I think I can tell the difference between that and what the eTorque is doing.

Anyway... one thing I have noticed is that it seems like when the engine shuts off while I'm stopped at a light, it doesn't really stay off very long before it cranks back up.

Occasionally, it has stayed off until the light changes and I lift my foot off the brake. But, most of the time it seems like it doesn't shut off at all, or, if it does, it starts back up again before the light changes. When I took delivery, it was a 100 mile drive home from the dealer, of mostly Interstate. So, it certainly had opportunity to get fully charged before I really started using it.

Is this normal? I have started whipping out my cell phone and starting a stopwatch to try and time how long it stays off. But, I just started that and it only shut off once since then, and the light changed before the engine cranked back up on its own. So, I have no real data yet.

I was expecting that, unless I had been driving for a while in stop and go traffic or something like that, it would shut off every time I stop and stay off until I start going again.

I do note that it has been 90 - 95 here during the day and I keep the AC on Auto at 72 degrees.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took delivery of my new 1500 with 5.7 w/eTorque on Wed. So, I've got roughly 200 miles on it now.

Overall, I like the eTorque, so far. I had an '09 with a 5.7 for 10 years and 193K miles before this new truck, so I'm pretty familiar with how the Hemi drives. I like the way the new truck drives. It's just little things where I can feel a difference and it feels like it's the eTorque that is the difference I'm feeling. I know I now have an 8-speed vs the 6-speed in my old truck, but I think I can tell the difference between that and what the eTorque is doing.

Anyway... one thing I have noticed is that it seems like when the engine shuts off while I'm stopped at a light, it doesn't really stay off very long before it cranks back up.

Occasionally, it has stayed off until the light changes and I lift my foot off the brake. But, most of the time it seems like it doesn't shut off at all, or, if it does, it starts back up again before the light changes. When I took delivery, it was a 100 mile drive home from the dealer, of mostly Interstate. So, it certainly had opportunity to get fully charged before I really started using it.

Is this normal? I have started whipping out my cell phone and starting a stopwatch to try and time how long it stays off. But, I just started that and it only shut off once since then, and the light changed before the engine cranked back up on its own. So, I have no real data yet.

I was expecting that, unless I had been driving for a while in stop and go traffic or something like that, it would shut off every time I stop and stay off until I start going again.

I do note that it has been 90 - 95 here during the day and I keep the AC on Auto at 72 degrees.
Totally normal. You'll see it stay off longer in the winter months. You'll find info in your owner's manual, but there are a whole series of "checks" that have to pass to keep the engine stopped, and (obviously) the cooling system demand is one of them.

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score

Mine shuts down most of the time but I find the etorque system is sensitive to certain things. When I am stopped and etorque has the engine off the following things make it kick back on. When I adjust any pressure on the brake pedal, when I adjust certain dash buttons like climate control??? I'm sure if the system notices battery pack voltage dropping it will also restart as well.

Kidder

Reaction score
There is a status on the EVIC for the etorque to tell you why it isn't shutting off.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not been able to find that. Where?

The owner's manual covers this. It's the sixth option in the scroll-able menu in the center of the instrument cluster, after the trip meter and before either the trailer tow menu (if equipped) or the audio menu

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The owner's manual covers this. It's the sixth option in the scroll-able menu in the center of the instrument cluster, after the trip meter and before either the trailer tow menu (if equipped) or the audio menu

View attachment 29254

I have seen that, but all I have ever seen it show is either "Start/Stop Ready", or Active or Not Ready. Or something like that.

I have never seen it saying an actual reason why it's keeping the engine running. I'll have to check it out. Maybe I just haven't looked at it while I'm actually sitting at a stop with the engine still running.

Thanks.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can get it to stay off for awhile. The heating and cooling of cabin and obviously keeping the seatbelts buckled are the two biggest issues with it not activating or staying on. I'd recommend driving around with climate control off and just play with the system.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen that, but all I have ever seen it show is either "Start/Stop Ready", or Active or Not Ready. Or something like that.

I have never seen it saying an actual reason why it's keeping the engine running. I'll have to check it out. Maybe I just haven't looked at it while I'm actually sitting at a stop with the engine still running.

Thanks.

It's messages are:

Stop / Start Not Ready (when you start the truck but have not driven more than 2mph in drive yet, when the electrical load is too high / the 48V battery is charging, or when the brake booster vacuum is too low)
Stop / Start Auto Start Active (during a stop / start event)
Stop / Start Not Ready Cabin Heating / Cooling (HVAC demands too high for Stop / Start event)
Service Stop / Start System (Malfunction / Problem)

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The biggest thing that affects mine is the air conditioning, it may shut off at a red light and kick back on 30 seconds later on a hot day to maintain the temperature. In cold weather once the engine is warm the truck can stay shut off for quit a while without restarting, it almost never has too.

Users who are viewing this thread