5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Selection, Tailgate Feedback

utah

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some feedback here. I’m making the jump from a JEEP to a RAM 1500, I’m thinking a Bighorn mainly based on the fact that I do not want leather.

Primary usage: I live in Utah and I’m outdoors a lot with 2 dogs. Off-roading is minimal with the sole intent of getting to a climbing destination, meaning I do not off-road just to off-road. I may be taking the rig on longer trips around the country, camping out of the truck, and eventually will get a small pull behind camper, however nothing too big and nothing over 5k lbs-ish. I would pull the camper to a climbing location and park it for weeks.

I’m stuck debating on the engine…I’m not after a V8 just to have a V8 and I understand some think it is blasphemy that I would consider a truck without the V8…however I do not know the ins and outs of these engines or trucks as I do on JEEPs.

The V6 obviously gets better MPG so it is very attractive, however the V8 eTorque isn’t far behind. At this point the standard V8 and V8 eTorque are a $200 difference with a 2 MPG improvement with the eTorque, so if I do go V8 I’m leaning towards the eTorque. That being said I purposefully stayed away from the eTorque in my JEEP due to the unknows with the engine and the thoughts that will eventually break down and it’s just more to manage.

What are your thoughts on what I’ve outlined and reliability of the engines?

Also, very interested in the multifunction tailgate – any real-world experience on how they are holding up and if they seal well?

Lastly, I’m looking at the night option, any idea if the black accents on the RAM’s fade like the black accents on JEEP’s (it’s horrible on the JEEP’s)

Thank you

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some feedback here. I’m making the jump from a JEEP to a RAM 1500, I’m thinking a Bighorn mainly based on the fact that I do not want leather.

Primary usage: I live in Utah and I’m outdoors a lot with 2 dogs. Off-roading is minimal with the sole intent of getting to a climbing destination, meaning I do not off-road just to off-road. I may be taking the rig on longer trips around the country, camping out of the truck, and eventually will get a small pull behind camper, however nothing too big and nothing over 5k lbs-ish. I would pull the camper to a climbing location and park it for weeks.

I’m stuck debating on the engine…I’m not after a V8 just to have a V8 and I understand some think it is blasphemy that I would consider a truck without the V8…however I do not know the ins and outs of these engines or trucks as I do on JEEPs.

The V6 obviously gets better MPG so it is very attractive, however the V8 eTorque isn’t far behind. At this point the standard V8 and V8 eTorque are a $200 difference with a 2 MPG improvement with the eTorque, so if I do go V8 I’m leaning towards the eTorque. That being said I purposefully stayed away from the eTorque in my JEEP due to the unknows with the engine and the thoughts that will eventually break down and it’s just more to manage.

What are your thoughts on what I’ve outlined and reliability of the engines?

Also, very interested in the multifunction tailgate – any real-world experience on how they are holding up and if they seal well?

Lastly, I’m looking at the night option, any idea if the black accents on the RAM’s fade like the black accents on JEEP’s (it’s horrible on the JEEP’s)

Thank you
You will get better mileage with a V6 and better performance/sound with a V8 (regardless of whether you get eTorque). You’ll also get better resale with a V8, if that matters.

I have an eTorque HEMI and would get it again after a couple of years’ ownership experience, especially for only $200. But some members prefer the “simplicity” of the old HEMI without eTorque.

flyfingers

Reaction score
The V8 5.7 HEMI has been around since 2003 or 2004 and thus has a proven record of reliability. The eTorque has been out since 2019 and, in my book, has yet to prove both its worthiness and dependability. If you're planning on pulling ~5,000 lbs you're going to want the V8. Sure the V6 will do it but it'll be a chore. My .02 vote goes toward the Hemi without eTorque.

Amazing93

Reaction score
I drove a V6 crew cab for work once. Almost died going up a dirt mountain road with my partner. It did not have enough power to go. We thought something was seriously wrong with the truck but there wasn't. It just didn't have enough power. It bogged down to the point of almost stopping. Like maybe 1-2 mph in 4WD. It was steep but our normal V8 vehicles never have problems. Its a heavy truck. The v6 is not a great choice in a vehicle that size.

Users who are viewing this thread