5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine revs instead of engaging

FirstMopar

Reaction score
Maybe it's part of the shifting logic but has anyone else experienced engine rev instead of snappy throttle response? For example, I was stopped - gave it a pretty good throttle 1/2-3/4, accelerated nicely - released the throttle completely then tapped it fairly firmly thinking it would pull me a bit but instead the engine just revved like it was in neutral instead. Everything seems fine, I think I let the RPMs fall a bit and it was engaged but it kind of freaked me out. If I put it in manual gear select it behaves how I expect, blip the throttle and it feels responsive. I'm hoping I just hit a weird spot in the transmission programming when completely letting up the throttle after a certain RPM, etc...

Drewster

Reaction score
My truck does this when it's first started - I'm guessing because there's a hydraulic pressure accumulator for start/stop that isn't quite charged yet. I've learned to let it idle in drive for a few seconds before setting off. What you're describing sounds more like it just didn't shift when you expected? If it was super cold out, that's probably to be expected.

FirstMopar

Reaction score
My truck does this when it's first started - I'm guessing because there's a hydraulic pressure accumulator for start/stop that isn't quite charged yet. I've learned to let it idle in drive for a few seconds before setting off. What you're describing sounds more like it just didn't shift when you expected? If it was super cold out, that's probably to be expected.
Yeah, I guess I was expecting it to feel more 'coupled' - and more throttle responsive, tossing me back a little. It felt more like a manual stabbing the clutch and blipping the throttle. It wasn't quite up to temp but I had driven it for a few miles already.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My educated guess is that since you had just recently started moving, things were running self tests and the command to downshift and accelerate got put on hold. There is a hierarchy among the various modules and safety ones come first when information gets sent down the serial bus. The first couple minutes of driving is when things are busiest with all the self-tests and communication checks.

Users who are viewing this thread