5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine light remains on

Asecondglance

Reaction score
I’m very frustrated
I have a new 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a 5.7 hemi etorque engine. I was told by a plow company that they could put a plow on it. So I had them put the plow bracket and wiring harness on. However, in order to install the plow bracket, they had to remove the air dam.
The air dam is located in the front grill behind the bumper. it is a plastic strip that extends the with of the truck. The plastic strip is mounted to a metal rod that is mounted to either side of the truck. On one aside of the metal rod there is a little electric motor. This motor is connect to the computer system in the truck. When the plow company removed the air dam, and after I drove some miles, my engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing could be done to fix it and I would have to take the plow bracket off and put the air dam back on.
I called the plow company and the said they had a solution. They reinstalled the metal rod and mounts including the motor. In this way, the computer thinks the air dam is on the truck. It did work for 2 days but now the engine light is back on.
What’s really bad is that sometimes the engine stalls, the truck automatically goes into park and the emergency break goes on. Then I have to re-start the truck and release the emergency break Before I can continue driving.
in addition to the engine light and the stalling problem the dealer tells me that the air dam is part of the emission control. So now on top of everything else the truck probably won’t pass emissions test.
Does anyone have any ideas or solutions. I have contact Ram but no solution was given. I was hoping they could re-program the computer to have a way to turn the air dam off. I’m going to keep on them until I get resolution.

Quote Quote
Report Edit

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m very frustrated
I have a new 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a 5.7 hemi etorque engine. I was told by a plow company that they could put a plow on it. So I had them put the plow bracket and wiring harness on. However, in order to install the plow bracket, they had to remove the air dam.
The air dam is located in the front grill behind the bumper. it is a plastic strip that extends the with of the truck. The plastic strip is mounted to a metal rod that is mounted to either side of the truck. On one aside of the metal rod there is a little electric motor. This motor is connect to the computer system in the truck. When the plow company removed the air dam, and after I drove some miles, my engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing could be done to fix it and I would have to take the plow bracket off and put the air dam back on.
I called the plow company and the said they had a solution. They reinstalled the metal rod and mounts including the motor. In this way, the computer thinks the air dam is on the truck. It did work for 2 days but now the engine light is back on.
What’s really bad is that sometimes the engine stalls, the truck automatically goes into park and the emergency break goes on. Then I have to re-start the truck and release the emergency break Before I can continue driving.
in addition to the engine light and the stalling problem the dealer tells me that the air dam is part of the emission control. So now on top of everything else the truck probably won’t pass emissions test.
Does anyone have any ideas or solutions. I have contact Ram but no solution was given. I was hoping they could re-program the computer to have a way to turn the air dam off. I’m going to keep on them until I get resolution.

Quote Quote
Report Edit
Get alfaObd and you can turn off the active airdam in the settings. I did this to mine. Have put over 300 miles on the truck without popping a code, and don't have the airdam or motor connected.

The stalling issue is an etorque issue, not related to the air dam removal.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Get alfaObd and you can turn off the active airdam in the settings. I did this to mine. Have put over 300 miles on the truck without popping a code, and don't have the airdam or motor connected.

I thought you needed to keep the motor connected?
Does alfaobd actually disables it? Or just disables the code it generates if removed?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought you needed to keep the motor connected?
Does alfaobd actually disables it? Or just disables the code it generates if removed?
I have not had a code, and I don't have motor connected. Connector is just hanging loose.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Damn that’s crazy! I’ve had mine off for 2.5 years and have never had an issue with any of that.! Mines a 2019 though so maybe it was different then

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2021 big horn with both air dams remove since June and a couple thousand miles on it with out a code/light
wonder if they change the system on 22's and that is why now a code is popping

skyhawk42

Reaction score

Where in Alfa is this? I want to remove mine, but I don’t want any issues. I breezed thru Alfa and I haven’t found it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where in Alfa is this? I want to remove mine, but I don’t want any issues. I breezed thru Alfa and I haven’t found it.
If I remember right, I think I just did a search for "active" and it was only result that popped up. Either rhat or "air dam".

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online