5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine failure due to lack of backpressure from exhaust cutout?

Dtdaviswj

Reaction score
So this is for anyone with an electric cutout or dumped exhaust after the y-pipe. I got some work done at a shop and the tech recommended not using an electric cutout due to a lack of backpressure. He was telling me the lack of back pressure could cause catastrophic engine failure with the valves. He said he personally has seen multiple engines fail because of this issue(not specifically RAMs). I have been using a cutout for almost 3 years without any issues relating to my engine, I use it just almost every day. The main reason I got it was so I wouldn't wake up my kids or my neighbors. I am just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of any issues like this.

Last edited:

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I've had my dumps on since 2019 and still don't have any issues. I know you're supposed to have back pressure in your exhaust system but that's the first time I've heard of damaging an engine from lack of back pressure.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this is for anyone with an electric cutout or dumped exhaust after the y-pipe. I got some work done at a shop and the tech recommended not using an electric cutout due to a lack of backpressure. He was telling me the lack of back pressure could cause catastrophic engine failure with the valves. He said he personally has seen multiple engines fail because of this issue(not specifically RAMs). I have been using a cutout for almost 3 years without any issues relating to my engine, I use it just almost every day. The main reason I got it was so I wouldn't wake up my kids or my neighbors. I am just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of any issues like this.

Not my area of expertise, but here's what I think I understood from fluid dynamics.

When an exhaust valve opens, you get a rush of hot gas, and also an acoustic pulse that propagates down the exhaust system. When this pulse encounters obstructions or changes in tube size, a reflection occurs which travels back up the system. In general if the tube gets smaller, the reflection will be positive i.e. try to push gas back in, if the tube gets bigger, the reflection is inverted i.e. tries to suck more gas out. In the case of a cutout, the change in size from tube to free air is pretty large, so it will be be a strong pulse. Depending on engine speed, if this big sucking pulse gets back to a valve just as it is closing, it can try to suck more gas through at the worst possible time and increase seat erosion.

With racing engines that have lots of valve overlap, you can also suck additional air/fuel through the cylinder which burns in the exhaust port and heats the exhaust valve up more than normal. With our sedately tuned street engines and timed fuel injection, I tend to discount that scenario for most of us.

Anyway, I don't think lack of backpressure (static) has as much potential to damage valves as the dynamic stuff that goes on in the exhaust system. That's my theory, anyone else want to chime in?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably stop using that shop if I heard them spreading this crap.

Engines do not need back pressure. Backpresude is caused by restrictions in the exhaust. And robs power. You want a high flowing exhaust that maintains exhaust gas velocity. So, yes, you can have too big of an exhaust, that loses velocity, and reduces the effectiveness of the pulses in actually pulling the air out of the cylinders. Y-pipe design, on single exhausts, and crossover, or x-pipe placement in dual exhaust are crucial in this as well.

Abb0nz

Reaction score
Back pressure can almost be called a myth from the 50s and 60s. Go to another shop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online