5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Dead at 2600 Miles

Wing_Nut

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a 2020 1500 limited, and it's awesome. There are a few minor annoyances but by and large this is exactly what I wanted. There's only 1 problem...at 2600 miles the engine crapped out. A lifter collapsed and my new truck is in need of major work. I know the 5.7 Hemi has some lifter issues, especially at higher mileage, but having such an engine failure at this point is unacceptable. Local dealer says they can fix the problem (and I'm sure they can) but I have an issue with owning a $60k vehicle with a repaired engine that's practically new. I also worry that the engine will never be quite back to factory condition and will never run quite as smooth, or be as reliable. And, to make matters worse, the local dealer won't provide a loaner since I didn't buy the truck from them.

Any advice on how to proceed? Or, does anyone have personal experience with this type of problem?

We had cam and lifters replaced on our 2014 Ram 1500, and it has been fine since (35,000 miles) However, that truck was 4 years old at the time. I can see how you wouldn't want to accept this work on an almost-new truck.

If you do decide to go ahead with the repair, I would suggest changing oil after a few thousand miles and sending a sample to Blackstonelabs for analysis. That's what I did the first three oil changes after the engine was repaired. If there are remaining issues the analysis may alert you to it.

My first oil change after the repair had some contaminants in it (normal after work on engine), but the ones after that were clear and engine wear was deemed minimal (especially given I changed oil at 10,000 miles the 2nd and third time after repair).

As far as the loaner: doesn't the warranty cover a rental car?

My suggestion is that you understand the ramifications of this failure. It seems to me that this will cause a valve to stick closed (or not open all the way) and that is all. If true then your engine is safe.

I honestly don't see what the issue is. I mean, I do understand your disappointment that your brand-new truck needs major work. And the inconvenience that brings. But you'll still be covered by the original factory powertrain warranty. By the time you get close to the end of that warranty you can just trade it in for something else if you're worried about it failing after the warranty expires.

I think these trucks will shut themselves down when a failure like that occurs to prevent further damage. The technicians will inspect your valvetrain when they replace the lifters. Its quite possible that FCA will extend the warranty for your engine as well; I had a Jeep with a lifter problem and they extended the warranty for my engine to 150,000 miles. I know its disappointing; but they should be able to fix your truck and get it back to like new.

I'd be pissed too if mine did the same thing. Get it repaired and go from there. A stuck lifter isn't as bad as it sounds, generally. I also wouldn't worry about "factory condition." The "factory" is why you're in this situation. Good luck.

I had a complete engine replacement in my 1999 F150 Lightning with less than 2500 miles. No big deal, they shipped in a long block and pulled the fuel injection, supercharger, pumps, pulleys, etc. off the original engine. Never had another issue with it. That truck was a blast.

Last edited:
A lot of excellent advice in these past few posts. OP just like anyone else your emotions are taking over. the warranty is going to cover everything that the inspectionn uncovers.
let the dealer service the vehicle. contact FCA and see about a goodwill reimbursement on a rental, be polite and calm, worse that can be said is no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back