5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Bay Heat 6.4

Meodom

Reaction score
Hello All.

I've noticed that the engine bay on my new 2022 Tradesman is pretty hot in comparison to previous trucks I've owned. Is this normal for Rams?

Can barely keep your hand on the radiator hose....plastic components/reservoirs are very hot to the touch, engine bay braces really hot, etc.....

Engine temp gauge is in normal operating range. Just seems like the engine bay holds a lot of heat.

Thoughts?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'll have better luck on the HD forum. But I had two Jeep SRTs before with the 6.4
The amount of heat that thing produced was crazy. It had functional hood vents and when stopped at a light you could see heat coming out of them. If you opened the hood after a drive it was very warm as well.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the 6.4, or what "normal" would be as far as engine bay temps for that engine. But it's normal for radiator hoses to get too hot to keep your hand on. After all, the coolant flowing through them is in the 200 degree range. I'd expect the coolant expansion tank to also be hot to the touch.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today's engines run hotter, to get a bit more efficiency. I remember 160 thermostats and 7 pound radiator caps. The current crop of Rams runs, what, about 203 and 18? And yeah, the 6.4 might make a bit more heat than the 5.7, proportional to the rate of fuel burn. Sounds normal.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Today's engines run hotter, to get a bit more efficiency. I remember 160 thermostats and 7 pound radiator caps. The current crop of Rams runs, what, about 203 and 18? And yeah, the 6.4 might make a bit more heat than the 5.7, proportional to the rate of fuel burn. Sounds normal.
160 throws an engine error code now.
The 1500s do have a 203 thermostat, not 100% sure on 2500.

It's generally not safe to start putting your hands all over your engine compartment when the engine is running or right after on any car\truck.

hlopez

Reaction score
Hello All.

I've noticed that the engine bay on my new 2022 Tradesman is pretty hot in comparison to previous trucks I've owned. Is this normal for Rams?

Can barely keep your hand on the radiator hose....plastic components/reservoirs are very hot to the touch, engine bay braces really hot, etc.....

Engine temp gauge is in normal operating range. Just seems like the engine bay holds a lot of heat.

Thoughts?
I use Jet-hot on my Diesel, got most of the exhaust and turbo housings ceramic coated. Keeps temps lower but also got to choose a nice red for them.

Users who are viewing this thread