5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Bay Cleaning

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like the title said, did any one do it yet to their 5th Gen RAM? And what step should i need to do before do it?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Like the title said, did any one do it yet to their 5th Gen RAM? And what step should i need to do before do it?
You can easily do this with any degreaser like simple green. Agitate with a brush and rinse with low pressure water hose. Use a leaf blower to blow all the water out.
Done this a few times. Very easy and safe.

Cheers,

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can easily do this with any degreaser like simple green. Agitate with a brush and rinse with low pressure water hose. Use a leaf blower to blow all the water out.
Done this a few times. Very easy and safe.

Cheers,

Thanks for the tip, another question is did you need to cover anything like battery or E-Torque system....etc(in my case)?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, another question is did you need to cover anything like battery or E-Torque system....etc(in my case)?
Battery was pretty clean so I did not spray it, but it would not hurt it.
I don't have eTorque, but it should be a sealed unit. If you are concerned about that, cover it with a plastic bag.

I have cleaned the bays of all my vehicles over the years and never had an issue. I always turn the engine on after doing this and let it run for a few minutes to get to temperature and ensure all moisture is burned off.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My only concern is to avoid getting any degreaser inside anything that's not sealed, like the alternator. Or anything else with bearings, like idler pulleys. I also try to avoid spraying it onto shafts which spin, as it could work into those bearings as well. I've been using a degreaser called Greased Lightning for years. Works better than other degreasers I've tried. Spray it on a cool engine bay, let it sit (but not dry out) for a few minutes, rinse, then use the air hose to dry things out. Usually requires no manual agitation or brushing on a newer vehicle, but the effectiveness depends on how strong it's mixed. If it's an older engine with lots of gunk build up, you'll probably need to apply degreaser more than once, as well as manual agitation. It's available in either concentrated or pre-mixed packages.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bearings you are worried about are sealed bearings. I get what you are saying, and will agree not to induce high(er) pressure water to certain areas though. Seals on sealed bearings usually to an adequate job of keeping contaminants out, especially when newest, but don't hit them with 3200 PSI and complain when they fail.

STR

Reaction score
I use the same soap that I use on the body, which is usually Meguiar’s Gold Class. I wash the engine bay every time I wash any of my vehicles, and never had any issues. By doing so, you don’t have to worry about grease and grim building up, and no need for a degreaser or power washer. The engines in all of my vehicles look brand new.

Sugar

Reaction score
My process is to rinse (garden hose), use Adams APC (can be watered downed if aluminum block is a concern), clean with brushes to get in tight areas, rinse, run the truck for a bit to allow some heat to dry off everything, follow up with dress up. Currently I have ceramic coated most of the plastic and then follow everything up such as hoses, etc with Adams in and out spray.

Users who are viewing this thread