5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electronic stability control message-trailer brake

TIGWelder

Reaction score
The dealership agreed to install a trailer brake controller when I purchased my truck. I was expecting OEM but due to some sort of national back order they were not available. The dealership went ahead and installed an aftermarket one. Pissed me off but what’s done is done.
On to the point.
When I squeeze the controller lever to manually engage the trailer brakes I got a service electronic stability control message. If I turn off the truck and turn it back on the message goes away.
Anyone have this issue? Is it even an issue worth worrying about? Is there a fix?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I had the same issue, I have a thread about it here somewhere. Turned out to be a cheap analog controller was the culprit. It was not working properly either. I ended up buying a tekonsha digital, installed that and it resolved all the issues. Night and day difference in brake engagement too with the nicer controller.

TIGWelder

Reaction score
Thanks.
Guess I’m eating the $100. I don’t see any chance in winning that argument with the dealership. What a waste.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks.
Guess I’m eating the $100. I don’t see any chance in winning that argument with the dealership. What a waste.
If it's dealer installed, take it back and have one that works as it should installed. I had a dealer installed itam put on my RAM as agreed to in the contract. It cost him 5000 bucks to have the pickup repaired bucause the installer screwed up.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Yeah $100 installed is cheap, they probably used the cheapest controller available. I paid around $150 just for the tekonsha P3 controller hardware, and installed it myself, but it was worth every penny.

Konrad

Reaction score
Is it even an issue worth worrying about? Is there a fix?

Well, yeah. Apparently it's a hack job that interferes with your new truck's electronic and safety systems. Have your miserable sumbitch of the dealer remove it and install proper OEM controller for free (if they cannot find it, buy yourself and have them refund you. There are plenty OEM kits on the market, sold by Mopar dealers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A-TEAM

Reaction score
For what its worth the tekonsha P3 is a better controller than the factory, but I understand if you want to OEM look/function. But yeah the 5th gen ram hates cheap analog controllers!

Konrad

Reaction score
For what its worth the tekonsha P3 is a better controller than the factory, but I understand if you want to OEM look/function. But yeah the 5th gen ram hates cheap analog controllers!

Out of curiosity, why is it better?

A-TEAM

Reaction score
The features alone rival any OEM controller. Here are the specs from their website:

P3 the industries most advanced electric trailer brake control. A true proportional braking system, P3 has several added features, making it the new standard for electric trailer brake controls.
  • 5 storable setting options for pulling different trailers or preferences of multiple drivers.
  • A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options.
  • Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
  • Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
  • A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
  • Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
  • Screen information display in English, French or Spanish.
  • The Original Boost feature allows for different levels of customized braking.
  • Compact, dash-hugging design.
  • Integrated Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.
  • Snap-in mounting clip allows user to remove and store the control when not in use.
  • Electric trailer brake control for up to 4 braking axles.
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Also its not listed here but it has reverse lockout too if you want to disable trailer braking temporarily when backing up.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Also the factory trailer brake harness is not that easy to find/get to, so really 100 bucks to connect a universal wiring harness to the factory plug isnt a bad deal. Would be easy to add any controller you wanted now

TIGWelder

Reaction score
I sent an email to the salesman I negotiated the deal with and explained the situation. I proposed I purchase the OEM one off eBay for them to reimburse and install with a loaner car arrangement should it take more than a day. We will see how they respond.
I put my deposit down on credit card. Worse case, I can ask the CC company to dispute the charge for the dealership failing to meet the agreed terms of the sale.
Having had the OEM in a previous truck, I think it is an advantage for it to talk to the truck computer and display on the dash as it should. The truck knew there was a trailer connected which I liked. There were also a few trailers I could save and preset and adjust gains as needed. Never had a problem or issue with the OEM controller. This just looks like the right excuse to fight for what I expected to get in the first place.
Worst worse case is I end up installing it myself and have to buy alpha obd to or call in a favor to someone to activate it.

Konrad

Reaction score
I sent an email to the salesman I negotiated the deal with and explained the situation. I proposed I purchase the OEM one off eBay for them to reimburse and install with a loaner car arrangement should it take more than a day. We will see how they respond.
I put my deposit down on credit card. Worse case, I can ask the CC company to dispute the charge for the dealership failing to meet the agreed terms of the sale.
Having had the OEM in a previous truck, I think it is an advantage for it to talk to the truck computer and display on the dash as it should. The truck knew there was a trailer connected which I liked. There were also a few trailers I could save and preset and adjust gains as needed. Never had a problem or issue with the OEM controller. This just looks like the right excuse to fight for what I expected to get in the first place.
Worst worse case is I end up installing it myself and have to buy alpha obd to or call in a favor to someone to activate it.

Yep. I went the DIY way. I bought my truck used (from a dealer) and adding the OEM TBC was supposed to be a part of the deal, I even had it in writing... of course when it came to that, they couldn't find it, it was backordered nationwide, blah blah... so I took things in my own hands. Four days, $160 and 1.5 hours of labor later it was installed. Works like a charm and I couldn't be happier. If you decide to go that way, I highly recommend Steve White Motors on eBay as a source.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Good luck whichever way you go, I would disconnect the crap controller for now just knowing how much they mess with the factory computer.

TIGWelder

Reaction score
Thanks. I know tomorrow if the dealership wants to play ball.

Im going to leave the controller in. Its not doing anything as long as I dont energize the brakes at the trailer. Besides, they are probably going to want to see it fail before agreeing to do any work.
Good luck whichever way you go, I would disconnect the crap controller for now just knowing how much they mess with the factory computer.

TIGWelder

Reaction score
The dealer said they would not install the trailer brake controller for fear that it could be non-OEM or fake. They would not warrantee that work or the part if they didn’t source it themselves . They did say they would reimburse a third-party to do the installation or reimburse me to do it myself. I asked if I did it myself they were flash the computer I’m waiting to hear back on that but it seems like getting them to do the work is pretty much a hard no. I may be better off just doing it myself and bringing it in there and let them plugging in and turning it on for me being done with the whole thing.

Konrad

Reaction score
The dealer said they would not install the trailer brake controller for fear that it could be non-OEM or fake.

...and yet they weren't afraid of installing a crappy aftermarket one that messed up your truck safety systems. Now that's what I call a real BS. Time to change the dealer, I guess.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like a crappy dealer. I cant believe they dont know by now that entry level analog controllers are not compatible. In my experiences it didnt hurt the ram systems and they were fine after the crappy controller was removed. Based on what youve told us here I would find a new controller oem or good aftermarket, and a new installer. Any auto stereo shop should be able to handle it no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread