5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electronic Stability Control Errors

sheltieram

Reaction score
Have a 2023 1500 Laramie with only 2k miles. Went to start it a few days ago and got a message that the Electronic Stability Control had failed. This took out the cruise control, all the sensor applications, hill start, and since I tow the truck it caused issues with trying to get it in park after the transfer case was in neutral (said the speed was too fast!). I saw on the forum several people saying this error was the battery, so I charged mine which took about 6 hours (that seemed strange for a new car). When I started the truck after charging it still had the errors, so I made an appointment to take it in. Today, I started the truck and drove it to the store and had the same errors. When I started it again to head home all the errors were gone!

So, here is my theory. Since I had bought the truck, we have been in Hot weather and usually had the AC on which doesn't allow etorque stop/start to work. Now we are in cold weather and the day we had the problem we had the heater, seats, and steering wheel heaters running. We were in Yellowstone and making lots of stops to look at animals and the etorque was always stopping the engine while we were stopped. I have read that the system doesn't like lower voltages and my theory is that the battery (even though it is not supposed to) ran down too much with all the heaters running. After Charging, it needed to be driven a few miles for the software to clear the errors (we drove 80 miles back into town the day it happened, so the alternator should have charged it by then but didn't). Does my theory sound plausible? Still going to take it in and push for a bunch of tests.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have a 2023 1500 Laramie with only 2k miles. Went to start it a few days ago and got a message that the Electronic Stability Control had failed. This took out the cruise control, all the sensor applications, hill start, and since I tow the truck it caused issues with trying to get it in park after the transfer case was in neutral (said the speed was too fast!). I saw on the forum several people saying this error was the battery, so I charged mine which took about 6 hours (that seemed strange for a new car). When I started the truck after charging it still had the errors, so I made an appointment to take it in. Today, I started the truck and drove it to the store and had the same errors. When I started it again to head home all the errors were gone!

So, here is my theory. Since I had bought the truck, we have been in Hot weather and usually had the AC on which doesn't allow etorque to work. Now we are in cold weather and the day we had the problem we had the heater, seats, and steering wheel heaters running. We were in Yellowstone and making lots of stops to look at animals and the etorque was always stopping the engine while we were stopped. I have read that the system doesn't like lower voltages and my theory is that the battery (even though it is not supposed to) ran down too much with all the heaters running. It needed to be driven a few miles for the software to clear the errors. Does my theory sound plausible? Still going to take it in and push for a bunch of tests.
Your statement about the eTorque not working with AC running is false. The eTorque is always working. What isn't working is auto start/stop. But the eTorque is still doing everything else. But to answer your question, yes, something caused an issue with one of the many systems and it cleared on its own. There is a bunch of systems that will cause all those errors if one of them goes out of b whack.

Users who are viewing this thread