5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric over hydraulic brakes

DTN

Reaction score
I'm planning on converting my boat trailer that currently has surge brakes to a electric over hydraulic braking system but I'm not sure if my new 2021 Ram 1500 with the electric brake controller option installed is compatible.

Does anyone know if the brake controller is compatible with a electric over hydraulic brakes system?

I have a tandem trailer that I upgraded years ago to disc from shoe brakes using the same surge actuator and my boat can easily weigh 8k lbs fully loaded.

My issue with the surge brake system is that I now live in a hilly terrain area and most marinas with boat ramps have a steep and long road to get down to the lake level from the main road. My surge brakes want to activate due to the gravitational weight of the boat pushing on the truck. By the time I get to the bottom I can smell burning rubber from the tires locking up. I also have no trailer brakes while backing the boat down the ramp that can be steep and with a heavy boat and slick ramp it can be a little dicey.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread