5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric cooling fan noise

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
I was in Utah driving a steep gravel road (https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/783-mokee-dugway-usa.html) cut into the side of a cliff, slow going with lots of hairpin curves so probably doing 10mph on a hot day. Near the top I stopped to let an oncoming car pass and heard a loud whirring sound coming from the engine. Worried me at first, then I realized it was the cooling fan. I've never had a truck with an electric fan before and I think that's new on the 2019 Ram. Hot day, driving very slow, engine climbing a steep hill so the fan was just revving up like it's supposed to. Once I got to the top and got back to normal speed on the road it went back to normal.

Just thought I'd pass this along so you know what that noise is the first time you hear it - probably doesn't happen often, but actually a nice feature of the electric fan to keep up engine cooling even when speed is low.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The electric fan is new for the 2019Hemi. Ram is actually late to the game on this one, but it is a nice improvement, with less parasitic power loss. Thanks for the report on how well it works when needed.

coffeyman76

Reaction score
Mine can be heard and felt, I dislike it. Random on and off. And they certainly could have made it quieter.

Takes a while at speed to get it to cut off as well. Other than that still loving the truck.

EZ Life

Reaction score
The electric fan is new for the 2019Hemi. Ram is actually late to the game on this one, but it is a nice improvement, with less parasitic power loss. Thanks for the report on how well it works when needed.
Yup, very late to the game, my 2005 suburban had electric fans. They definitely helped especially while parked in south Texas summers. My black suburban could hang beef inside ;). Loud? Yes. But you know they’re working, possibly better than a clutch driven fan, at least while parked. Plus, no parasitic loss from engine power while driving highway speeds, since airflow is sufficient, should improve highway fuel economy.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine can be heard and felt, I dislike it. Random on and off. And they certainly could have made it quieter.

Takes a while at speed to get it to cut off as well. Other than that still loving the truck.

And if you do the heater core valve you will hear the fan far less since the AC isn't working near as hard.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You've never heard the electric fans on a Ford F150 then........people turn their heads to see what the noise is!

I wish it didnt sound like a jet engine when running

Synergy26

Reaction score
Does your's osculate up and down when the A/C compressor kicks on and off? When the trucks interior IS cooled off this can happen frequently like it doesn't need to run the A/C compressor all the time.

Last edited:

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, very late to the game, my 2005 suburban had electric fans. They definitely helped especially while parked in south Texas summers. My black suburban could hang beef inside ;). Loud? Yes. But you know they’re working, possibly better than a clutch driven fan, at least while parked. Plus, no parasitic loss from engine power while driving highway speeds, since airflow is sufficient, should improve highway fuel economy.
I LOVE that profile picture

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does your's osculate up and down when the A/C compressor kicks on and off? When the trucks interior IS cooled off this can happen frequently like it doesn't need to run the A/C compressor all the time.

You woke up a 4 year old thread and the OP hasn't on this site for 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread