5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge Pulsar or Diablo PCM Swap

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
So I’m considering adding some type of performance enchantment to my truck and wanted to hear some opinions about which computer I should get. I know the Pulsar is a piggyback and the Diablo is a full PCM swap that includes a tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brando1500

Reaction score
So I’m considering adding some type of performance enchantment to my truck and wanted to hear some opinions about which computer I should get. I know the Pulsar is a piggyback and the Diablo is a full PCM swap that includes a tuner.

Picked up the pulsar for a deal on the for sale ads. So I can only speak on that. It's awesome for what it does and the price you pay. It feels like a completely different truck in sport mode. A couple other features like on the fly switching the modes and the tire size adjusting makes it that much sweeter.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Picked up the pulsar for a deal on the for sale ads. So I can only speak on that. It's awesome for what it does and the price you pay. It feels like a completely different truck in sport mode. A couple other features like on the fly switching the modes and the tire size adjusting makes it that much sweeter.

When was this sale? I’m hoping they do something for black friday or something. That’s when I’ll probably pick it up.

Cajun_

Reaction score
Isn't the diablo pcm the only thing that will actually improve HP.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
Isn't the diablo pcm the only thing that will actually improve HP.

Both will, the only difference is that the Pulsar cannot be altered i.e. no custom tuning and it’s a piggyback system vs the PCM swap which actually changes your PCM and you can add a custom tune.

Cajun_

Reaction score
Both will, the only difference is that the Pulsar cannot be altered i.e. no custom tuning and it’s a piggyback system vs the PCM swap which actually changes your PCM and you can add a custom tune.

I don't see how the pulsar actually would be able too do much. Is there any Dyno results hiding somewhere on this forum. I'm thinking about a Mopar airflow intake and awe exhaust. Might actually get something out of a tune.

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
I don't see how the pulsar actually would be able too do much. Is there any Dyno results hiding somewhere on this forum. I'm thinking about a Mopar airflow intake and awe exhaust. Might actually get something out of a tune.

There are none that I’ve seen due to the fact that you can’t get a good dyno pull because of the speed limiter. Some say that it feels more like a pedal commander that a tune. Also even if you do the full swap you need to take it to a dyno to actually get anything out of other mods. It has to be live tuning or get a really good offsite tuner like Jay Greene. Even then you have to hand him some type of data for him to make improvements.

Cajun_

Reaction score
There are none that I’ve seen due to the fact that you can’t get a good dyno pull because of the speed limiter. Some say that it feels more like a pedal commander that a tune. Also even if you do the full swap you need to take it to a dyno to actually get anything out of other mods. It has to be live tuning or get a really good offsite tuner like Jay Greene. Even then you have to hand him some type of data for him to make improvements.

So the same would be true about the pcm swap with diablo?

jan_riefkohl

Reaction score
So the same would be true about the pcm swap with diablo?

Correct I haven’t seen many, maybe one with Hammerdown Motorsports. With the swap you can remove the limiter tho. Can’t remember if the Pulsar can I think it doesn’t tho.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Recent video from American Trucks, the numbers are mid range but even still I’d say it’s a pretty good improvement. I’m currently trying to figure out this same question and the main thing I’m worried about is voiding my warranty so I’m leaning more towards the pulsar.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guess you need to figure out what your end goal is. There is definite increase in performance with the Pulsar in performance mode, and it increases throttle sensitivity. I have had my truck at the drag strip testing the different modes. I actually run mine in Economy most of the time because I actually saw a 1-2 mpg increase in fuel mileage around town in Economy. But it is just a piggy back module and there is no adjustment made to fuel delivery. Only timing and throttle response. I bought mine used through here for half the price of new. I definitely feel it was worth the price I paid, but would never have paid full price for one. It just doesn't do enough to justify a $500+ price tag.

Unlocked PCM opens up the potential for a lot more power with a full custom tune. So if you want to be able to get the most out of the truck, that is the way to go.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would say if still under warranty, avoid the actual ECU tuner, if detected during a dealership visit, they will black flag your truck across the dealership network. Essentially, your powertrain warranty of 5 yr/60 k will be gone.

Yes, you can try the Magnuson-Moss act, but 100% the dealer will just say no and make you give up or force you to take them to small claims court, which you are likely to loose anyways. Not worth the small increase in power that a naturally aspirated motor would give in this case.

Best bet is the throttle control module, best bang for the buck and can avoid warranty issues down the line. I would still remove it before a dealership visit just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread