5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E85

Ch.payton

Reaction score
Why is there no ability to run e85 in the new ram? It seems more car companies are moving away from flex fuel capabilities. I recently saw a quick video of a TRX running on e85 but I think they had done some tuning as well as other mods to that truck.

First, allow me to editorialize. E85 is a scam, a hand out to corn farmers that is bad for the environment (while being touted as a cleaner fuel, more on this in a bit), raises prices by diverting feedstock to fuel, bad for engines and fuel lines, and bad for taxpayers who are forced to subsidize this bad idea.

You can find articles talking about the pros and cons of E85. Note that they overstate the environmental benefits. Yes, ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline, but they neglect what goes into producing the ethanol. Corn production involves chemical based fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides. Fossil fuel is used to drive the equipment used to plant, harvest, and transport the corn.

So the emissions that come out of an E85 burning vehicle may be cleaner than from a pure gasoline burner, but those are not the total emissions that need to be considered.

So why no E85 capable Rams? Hopefully because enough people realize that E85 is a wasteful and destructive fuel driven not by science but by politics and cronyism.

Last edited:
So you want less gas mileage by using E85 and spending more in the long run? If you buy a truck for power you'll lose it with E85.

The power potential of e85 isn’t less so I wouldn’t say that. I was just curious why it seemed to drop off the map so I appreciate the information. I don’t really care about the environmental benefits of it because I don’t believe in “global warming” but having the ability to run it if needed wouldn’t seem like a bad idea. If there was a way to just flip a switch and run on propane I wouldn’t discard it. Unless you are lucky and live next to a gas station with no ethanol then you are putting 10% in there. We would be better off not being taxed out the *** on fuel but that won’t happen.

First, allow me to editorialize. E85 is a scam, a hand out to corn farmers that is bad for the environment (while being touted as a cleaner fuel, more on this in a bit), raises prices by diverting feedstock to fuel, bad for engines and fuel lines, and bad for taxpayers who are forced to subsidize this bad idea.

You can find articles talking about the pros and cons of E85. Note that they overstate the environmental benefits. Yes, ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline, but they neglect what goes into producing the ethanol. Corn production involves chemical based fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides. Fossil fuel is used to drive the equipment used to plant, harvest, and transport the corn.

So the emissions that come out of an E85 burning vehicle may be cleaner than from a pure gasoline burner, but those are not the total emissions that need to be considered.

So why no E85 capable Rams? Hopefully because enough people realize that E85 is a wasteful and destructive fuel driven not by science but by politics and cronyism.
So, are you saying you don't like E85? Quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.

So you want less gas mileage by using E85 and spending more in the long run? If you buy a truck for power you'll lose it with E85.

You'll make more power using E85, it just takes more E85 to make the power because its a lower heat output fuel

You'll make more power using E85, it just takes more E85 to make the power because its a lower heat output fuel
You'll make more power using E85 if you have a tune that will advance the timing to take advantage of the 108 octane rating. Not sure that you'll gain anything by having 108 octane fuel in a stock-programmed vehicle.

BTW, I'm a boater so don't get me started on what ethanol (even E10) does to engines. Boaters hate ethanol !!

Last edited:
How about this 88 octane unleaded? It gets real confusing having so many different unleaded fuels. The way I understand it 87 unleaded is 10% ethanol, 88 unleaded is 15% ethanol, & 85 unleaded is 85% ethanol. The price difference between them is minimal. I wish they'd just stick with 87 & 91 like Costco does!

How about this 88 octane unleaded? It gets real confusing having so many different unleaded fuels. The way I understand it 87 unleaded is 10% ethanol, 88 unleaded is 15% ethanol, & 85 unleaded is 85% ethanol. The price difference between them is minimal. I wish they'd just stick with 87 & 91 like Costco does!
E85 is 108 octane. Do everyone a favor and don't buy higher than E10 (if you can help it) so that we don't encourage more prevalence of these nasty fuels in the marketplace.

You'll make more power using E85 if you have a tune that will advance the timing to take advantage of the 108 octane rating. Not sure that you'll gain anything by having 108 octane fuel in a stock-programmed vehicle.

BTW, I'm a boater so don't get me started on what ethanol (even E10) does to engines. Boaters hate ethanol !!

I assumed that was known. E85 in a low compression stock vehicle yields nothing but a cheaper fuel that you're burning more of to go the same distance so useless in a un-modded vehicle.
That said, E85 only makes about a 25 HP difference in my Z06. 600rwhp on 93 and 622 on E85 but my fuel system is maxed using E85, only use it in the summer to cool cylinder temps.
In a booted application, E85 can make a 100rwhp difference easily

In a booted application, E85 can make a 100rwhp difference easily

Sure, the E85 provides more headroom to crank up the boost before detonation starts. Just imagine what you could do with a 1.0 liter EcoBoost. :eek:

I'm fortunate enough to have 2 stations within 10 miles of home/work that sell non-ethanol 91 octane. It's priced between the 89 and 93 octanes we get here in Texas. I run both my vehicles on it as well as stored fuel for generator, riding mower, etc.

There are a couple of other factors besides the lower BTU rating of E85 an ethanol fuel in general.

1. Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water, and we have had a wet spring / winter this year. If the ethanol fuel absorbs too much water, phase separation occurs - the ethanol comes out of solution with the gasoline. Essentially, the mixture breaks apart. When this happens, it destroys the quality of that gasoline and strips away a good amount of the octane rating of that fuel. You end up with poor quality gasoline.
  2. Our engines were not engineered to run flex fuels so I believe they run more efficient on 100% gasoline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back