5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-torque roll back

rpaulpen

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 2022 ram 4x4 crew cab Laramie with e-torque. I noticed that when on a slight incline, the vehicle rolls back just a bit before the battery or engine moves it forward. This is only when the engine shuts down. Not an issue if idling.

The dealer told me that the hill assist on e-torque only kicks in after 9 degree incline. I don’t understand the logic since a roll back is a roll back. No issue whatsoever on a steeper hill, just slight incline.

Any experiences with this?

Thanks
RP

He talking about the transition between letting foot off brake and applying pressure to gas pedal!

Hello everyone,

I have a 2022 ram 4x4 crew cab Laramie with e-torque. I noticed that when on a slight incline, the vehicle rolls back just a bit before the battery or engine moves it forward. This is only when the engine shuts down. Not an issue if idling.

The dealer told me that the hill assist on e-torque only kicks in after 9 degree incline. I don’t understand the logic since a roll back is a roll back. No issue whatsoever on a steeper hill, just slight incline.

Any experiences with this?

Thanks
RP
I've never experienced this. I'll have to see. BTW, do have hill start assist turned on? Not a 100% sure, but I think there is a setting in Uconnect.

I've never experienced this. I'll have to see. BTW, do have hill start assist turned on? Not a 100% sure, but I think there is a setting in Uconnect.

Nor I.
I can stop or park on an incline and the truck doesn't move when I take my foot off the brake until I touch the gas.

Yes, in the UConnect settings under braking I believe

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, hill assist is turned on. It's only on a slight hill when I transition from brake to gas. The truck moves back just slightly and then then moves forward. Kind of feels like driving a standard if that helps. It doesn't continue to roll but just enough to make me want to jump on the gas to propel it forward.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, hill assist is turned on. It's only on a slight hill when I transition from brake to gas. The truck moves back just slightly and then then moves forward. Kind of feels like driving a standard if that helps. It doesn't continue to roll but just enough to make me want to jump on the gas to propel it forward.
BTW, this is only when the engine shuts down using the start/stop feature. If the truck is idling, works fine regardless of grade.

Yes, hill assist on. This is when in start/stop mode. The second I take the brake off it rolls back slightly until e-torque or engine kicks in.

Mine has done this too. I've learned to slowly release the brake pedal and wait for etorque to do it's thing. You'll feel it engage.

It almost really got me one time not long after I bought the truck. I was parked nose down in a spot and put it in reverse to back out, and as I quickly let off the brake the truck rolled forward for a second which I was definitely not prepared for.

I also disable start/stop every time I get in, so that probably helps limit the amount it wants to roll.

I have just started noticing this myself. It can be jarring when you aren't expecting it. I figure it is by design, but agree I'd like it to not be an issue as sometimes it has happened with a vehicle right on my tailgate.

The other day I really paid attention when I was stopped. I checked the grade level when the truck was in auto stop/start. I was at slight slopes. And when I took my foot off the brake, the truck never once, not a single time, rolled backwards. Not even a small amount. I grew up driving manual transmissions, so I have experience of a roll back. My truck doesn't do what you experience.

Last edited:
I have a 2023 Bighorn etorque with the 3.21. I have hill assist turned on. With I shift to reverse it will roll forward before the transmission actually engages.

I know this is a year old thread but I have this same thing occurring '24 5.7 E torque Bighorn 4WD. Anyone find a resolution? I just had PCM updated due to recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back